Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Places to apply

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elizaoman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Places to apply Reply with quote

Hi

I was in Kuwait about four years ago - and am thinking of returning - any recommendations?

Thanks

Eliza
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliza,

You have now posted completely vague questions on at least three boards. How can anyone give you any advice when we know absolutely nothing. Are you a teacher? Do you have a degree? CELTA? MA? PhD? Have you ever taught? What do you want to teach? Primary School? Secondary School? University? Language schools?

Have you read any of the information that is already on the boards?

Perhaps you should start there and then come back and give us a more specific question.

VS
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Places to apply Reply with quote

Elizaoman wrote:
Hi

I was in Kuwait about four years ago - and am thinking of returning - any recommendations?

I hear that Bayan Palace is a nice place to stay.

BD
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Perhaps you should start there and then come back and give us a more specific question.

*snort*

I would like to teach Abu Dhabi taxi drivers some personal hygiene - any recommendations?

Also, how can I get them to stop cracking their knuckles?

BD
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well BD

I suspect that you already know how I would respond Cool

Do the taxi driver's have a tendency to crack their knuckles? I guess I'm just not observant - or my hearing could be going.

VS
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

Do the taxi driver's have a tendency to crack their knuckles?

Only when they can't find any other way to impress you, such as inserting their fingers in their noses up to their wrists and making a noise like a dying duck. Desperate times etc.

BD
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BD,

You have now reminded me of why one of the first things I always did was to buy a car. Smile

VS
Signor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Back to original question Reply with quote

I was quite interested in the original question - I'm sure she only wanted a list of places that might have vacancies - from someone who was in the country now.

Let's assume Eliza is looking for a job (degree + CELTA or Trinity) - where are the best places to apply in Kuwait?

Thanks in advance - I'd like to know too. I'm looking for work.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signor,

I am unable to interpret that from her posting. Her education and experience were not stated. And I doubt that anyone on this board has a handy list of current openings in Kuwait in their pocket. Explaining why there has been no response.

Allied Health at the university was advertising again not long ago, but they require an MA in hand. Other than that one could do a search for language schools. They tend to have lower requirements and lots of turnover.

VS
double agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: taxi Reply with quote

Cool Cool
It is true if you give more details then you could be given
proper advice.

From my recent experience of applying in the Middle East and a few other places I really want to work, first I do an internet search.

By typing in key words for the region, then more specifically the city I want to be in. Sometimes I search the government listing of schools in the region, then break it down from the level I am qualified to teach at.

There are also a lot of International schools and private schools/universities too. This requires seperate searching sometimes from the government lists.

I research the place, the teachers (if listed), the quality of life, the money (if possible), and I send letters to schools which are not necessarily advertising. In other words, "cold calling". I got my last two jobs that way, and have just found a possible other for next year. Yes, in the place I always wanted to go (my secret).

There happened to be one opening and timing is everything.

Sure they had resumes on file, but when my CV and letter arrived, they found the person who wanted to be there and took some initiative. Me!

My interest was proven by the fact that they hadn't advertised for let's say 12 teachers urgently, and my letter clearly stated my knowledge of the school, the region, and availability.

I think the initiative was something that appealled to them the most. When I got to my last country, at a party the DOS smiled and said, so why did you apply now? (it was mid year) He hired me because he was just thinking he would like one more teacher as the year was getting heavy for the current staff. When my email arrived, he apparently walked into the Deans office and said "Hire this person."

That being said, I did look into Humansoft and was kindly warned off. They were not advertising when I applied, and thankfully I was never able to contact them or research any good info on them. That is a sign.

Is there any solid info on the school, does it have community links, are they constantly referred to in a bad light on DAVES ? etc...

Common sense and a third eye helps.
Signor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Merci Reply with quote

Thanks Double Agent

That was helpful - it's difficult to know where to start especially when you're new to a region - my last two jobs have been through contacts that former-colleagues have - which is great and certainly makes life very easy. Again , as you said, not advertised.

However, when you're in the mood for a new place then it's handy to know if there are listings somewhere or a local newspaper that has vacancies or even if someone has heard anything. That's where I am now.

That's one of the great things about forums - you can get information not otherwise available.
ps2_machine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are all assuming that we have a degree + an EFL certificate. What about if we have some experience and a degree but no EFL certificate?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The less you have to offer, the fewer the opportunites, the less you will be paid and the more marginal the employer. The Gulf is not a cheap place to live. The bad employers tend to be pretty awful.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: