Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rent and Visa in St. Petersburg?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobs12 wrote:
Mmmm... where do you register for six months? OVIR itself? I can only get registration for three months at a time via a hotel where I'm supposedly living but have never seen in my life, but then my visa is a bit BLue Peter (anyone remember that? Very Happy )

I accidentally allowed my registration to expire for two months. I paid no fees, didn't leave the country, and it took two or three days to renew. Your sponsoring organization is supposed to renew it and it is supposed to be good for six months.

CS
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rulezz22 wrote:
BTW, how to file taxes living abroad?

US Citizen Services, US Embassy (095 728 5577). They'll even mail it for you, seriously. Well, atleast they'll allow you to use FPO, which is a mail service usually exclusive for the military. When attaching postage, you'll do so as though you were mailing it from Washington DC.

CS
zaneth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I had a one year visa I didn't know the registration was only for 6 months. I just naturally assumed (I've since wisened up a bit and assume less around here) that the registration matched the visa. When I went to Estonia after a year the border guard gave me problems but eventually let me off. I guess my righteous indignation was such that he was convinced that I had intended no harm. And my sheepishness when I finally realized what the problem was. And I was on my way out, and had an invitation for returning the next day. Got lucky I guess. So I was 6 months past due on registration and didn't realize it. Not that I recommend this.

My registration is coming due again in a few days. Trying to figure it out again. I've moved to a new place where I'm hoping to get a residence permit and I'm hoping to get started off on the right foot by actually being registered where I live. I'm hoping the university will help me. I'm still on my previous visa but I have a work visa invitation with them waiting for me, next time I come back in.

I've never heard of having to leave just to renew registration. Is this a Petersburg thing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: