Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just one last tax question...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hatter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Just one last tax question... Reply with quote

Ok, so we have all discussed the tax question to death, but I still have one more. I am leaving Germany in the next few months. I worked here as a freelance english teacher for almost 2 years and I have not paid any tax. Now I can either sort this out before I go or I can just go. Will the tax authorities find me and how much can I expect to pay (I probably earned an average of 1000 euros a month for 20 months). Any ideas as to what to expect would be helpfull. Likewise, will I get fined for trying to sneak away? Anyone had this experience?
Susan K

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: On those earnings, the tax can hardly be anything Reply with quote

If you mean 1000 euros gross (i.e. no travel etc. already taken into account) it is v. unlikely that you owe much to the FA - at least one of the years was not a complete one, reckoning from Jan - Dec, and I think that even without deductions for work expenses you wouldn't pay more than 50 euros a month on those earnings ... and your costs could easily come to that ... books, office and display materials etc etc. Did your work entail keeping a second home somewhere else? In that case you have a huge tax reduction and again nothing to pay. Likewise your arrival here at all - surely a necessary expense of your TEFL activities? And did you pay health insurance out of the 1000 euros?

An "honesty policy" will involve presenting accounts - if you haven't kept your books in order I can't see anything for it but hoping no-one asks any questions. It would be such a nightmare putting everything down on paper at this late stage that you might be forgiven for not doing it until required to!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: