Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zakiah25

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the topics in this forum but I've just dropped by to say "hi" to Kent and wish everyone a happy day.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: ??????? Reply with quote

Greetings zakiah25:

Is it my birthday and someone forgot to tell me about it? Very Happy

Random acts of kindness. hmmmm. It must be a ploy by the 'commies' to regain a majority in the Duma!

But seriously ... thanks for dropping by zakiah25. I don't know anything about the topics in this forum either. Wink

Love&Peace,
kENt
zakiah25

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: oh I forgot!!! Reply with quote

Happy Birthday Kent.
maruss

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: hAPPY BIRTHDAY KENT Reply with quote

jUST TO SAY A RATHER BELATED"HAPPY BIRTHDAY " FROM ME IN CYPRUS TOO!"MNOGA LYET" AND THANKS FOR ALL YOUR KIND ADVICE AND HELP.

MARTIN.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: long time no see ! Reply with quote

Welcome back Martin:

Long time no see! I thought maybe you fell in love with one of those beautiful dark-eyed Cypriot girls and forgot all about us here on the Russia Forum. Razz

Actually; Zakiah25 was joking. It is not my birthday, but thanks just the same for the thought. Wink

Take Care, Martin ... and a very Happy Victory Day on May 9th Exclamation
kENt
maruss

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: where have I been?? Reply with quote

Actually a lot has been happening here in Cyprus since the border re-opened for Cypriots for the first time since 1974 on 23rd April-you may have heard about this on the International news? We really hope it will finally lead to a solution of our long outstanding problem,but there is still a long way to go and it all depends on Turkey,especially the military establishment there,who traditionally take a hard line about the Cyprus issue.
I am still interested in Russia of course,but like I wrote before,I won't come over there and work in Moscow for 500 or so u.s. per month,and be taken advantage of.During the current Russian holidays there are thousands of Russian holiday makers here,by no means all oligarchs or mafia,and I have talked to quite a few of them.I am sure they earn much more than 500 u.s. per month,or they wouldn't even afford to buy a plane ticket to come here,let alone stay in hotels etc!So my point is,why do they expect foreigners to come to Moscow,put up with the climate and stress of living there and rip them off into the process?O.K. so Moscow is different from the rest of Russia regarding salaries and the cost of living etc.,but that still doesn't explain it!

I really would be interested to read the comments of other people about this,whether Russians or ex-pats!

Meanwhile,have a good day as they say,wherever you are!

Martin.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: EFL salaries in Russia Reply with quote

Hello Martin:

Believe me, I'm with you in spirit when it comes to the question of low EFL salaries in Russia. I'd love to be earning $1,200+ per month in Samara!

My hunch is that EFL salaries in Russia will not go up much in the next few years for ONE very big reason: EU expansion.

With EU expansion looming on the near horizon, more and more countries will become 'off limits' for non-EU citizens, and that means many of those newly displaced teachers will be looking farther 'east' for their next job.

And that means the supply of willing and qualified teachers in the Russian EFL market will INCREASE, which is generally BAD news for salaries. It's your basic supply and demand; too many teachers for too few positions = lower salaries.

This is only my hunch, and I hope I'm wrong about that. What do you good people think?

Best Wishes,
kENt
maruss

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: salaries etc. Reply with quote

Thanks Kent-you've hit the nail right on the head I think! I suppose it's easy for people like me to forget that there MILLIONS of people earning crap salaries and who have a pretty miserable life!Like one Russian said to me here the other day,exactly what percentage of the total population in Russia do those few thousand tourists who come here to Cyprus represent when you consider there are well over 200 million??It is doubtful if more than 100.000 Russians come here during the whole year,of which only half are bona-fide tourists who stay in hotels etc.The remainder either come on business with off-shore firms,stay with friends(or in friends private accomodation)or come here to work illegally in almost any kind of job where they can earn some money and are prepared to take the risk of being caught and deported at some stage!And I am sorry to say that we have a big problem here with ladies from not only Russia,but also other former S.U. countries,especially Ukraine and particularly Moldova,who come over as "tourists" and are given 2 weeks stay on arrival at the airport,during which they engage in a certain profession which I don;t think I need to elaborate about!This is a very dirty and rotten international" business" which unfortunately makes very big bucks for the evil guys who control it-but a lot of the girls who I have spoken to-and knowing Russian and talking to them as human beings does count for them,believe you me-say that they accept what they have to do because they say they need the money desperately.However,other Russians I have spoken to tell me that I should not pity the majority of them as they know damn well what the score is before they come over here and are just interested in making money and to hell with the ethics etc!
Anyway,as from next May when Cyprus becomes a full member of the E.U.,the visa-free reciprocal arrangement between here and Russia will be terminated,and it will be interesting to see just how many Russians will go to the trouble of buying visas for Cyprus before they travel as under Schengen rules,they cannot be issued on arrival!

Any comments from yourself and others would be most welcome!

Cheers for now!

Martin.
rogan

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year Lang Link was paying me $750 but I had my own flat in Moscow and I also had private students.($150/month at the North end of the metro line)

The year before the AAFL was paying me $1700 but again I had to pay my own accomodation.($450/month near Gorky Park)

Currently schools outside Moscow are offering from $450 plus accomodation.

I'm heading for Rostov in June where I'll be getting considerably more than that.

Salaries CAN be negotiated to a certain extent - it depends on what you are and what you can do and what you have done.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Maladyets Malchik ! Reply with quote

Privyet Rogan:

Congratulations on landing the new job in Rostov-On-Don! Razz

I was so sure you were going to accept that volunteer position in Izhevsk. Laughing Ok, I'm joking.

Anyway ... Good luck with your plans, Rogan. And let me know if you're ever in or near Samara. It would be cool to meet up for a drink or 3.

AllTheBest,
kEnt
maruss

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Nasdoroviye! Reply with quote

Hi Rogan and Kent!

I really hope that the opportunity will arise somewhere in the not too distant future for the 3 of us to finally meet up for 3 or 4 drinks and maybe more!-If I do make it back to Russia again,I'll remember to bring some Cyprus Brandy with me for you to try as it's reputedly very good,although as I only drink beer,I can't vouch for it personally and will stck to Baltika,Ochakovo,Klinskaya or what ever is available,as long as it's not Zhigulyovskaya!By the way Rogan,did you ever hear any more from that English guy in Moscow??

M.
rogan

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The English guy in Moscow" seems to have disappeared again.
But E.T.I. keeps doing this.
They advertise jobs in Moscow and elsewhere.
They stress the travel and the opportunities in Azerbaijan and then they cut contact.

I think they bid on contracts, advertise the vacancy.
Then they don't get the contract so they don't need the teachers.
Then they bid on more contracts, advertise more vacancies
etc etc
maruss

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: mysterious adverts etc............ Reply with quote

This could be a good explanation-as we all know,a lot of people in Russia are trying to earn extra money in all sorts of ways from commisions,back-handers etc, which are of course "black"-i.e. they don't exist on paper for taxation purposes etc.I suppose you can't blame them when the whole country is so corrupted and millions of people are just trying to survive,but if you are an unsuspecting foreigner and get taken in by them,you could end up wasting a lot of time and money chasing "rainbows!"

M.
rogan

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for a couple of beers - good idea.

Sometime in July I'll be heading for Rostov. For the moment don't know if I'll stage through Domededovo or fly direct from Paris CdG.

But, I'll take a Jigulofski anytime KeNt, even though my preferred poison is a Baltika 4
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: you betcha! Reply with quote

Hi Rogan and Martin:

I'm always good for a beer or 2, especially if they're cold. Not an easy task finding a cold beer in Samara, where they tend to prefer it luke-warm. YUCK.

Funny you mentioned Samara's most famous local brand, 'Jigulovski'. This one doesn't really taste so great, but it is one of the few brands of beer brewed in Russia without preservatives and chemicals, which give me a headache.

So when I feel like some serious partying, I head for the Jigulovski tents down at the Volga Embankment and just go crazy! Next morning, no headache, and only a mild hangover.

Anyway ... unforseen developments notwithstanding, I'll be renewing my contract here at the big "L" next month for a third year. And that means I'll be here at least until June of 2004, so we have plenty of time for our little 'beer-fest'.

Best wishes,
kenT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: