Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PGCE?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lajzar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: PGCE? Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the chances of getting on a PGCE course are, based on a degree and 2 years efl experience in teh Japanese state school system?

Also, can anyone recomend any particular PGCE programmes? I am particularly thinking of programmes focusing either on primary teaching, or on English. Computers would also be a possibility, but I feel that field changes way too fast.
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as you have a UK degree or equivalent you can get on a PGCE course. As far as I know all applications to UK universities are done centrally via www.gttr.ac.uk. The whole initial application process can be done online.

I really don't know what the best universities and institutes are for the different subjects. I do know that there are special incentives for science, maths and foreign language teachers as there is a shortage of these. I fear there may not be a shortage of English teachers, however!
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologise! I've just checked and English IS a shortage subject, so there are special incentives available to PGCE graduates who choose to teach at secondary level in the UK. This includes a "golden hello" of 4000UK and repayment over time of outstanding student loans by HM govt.!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering getting a PgCE, what's the main difference between a PGCE and a PGDE?
Are all PCGE courses a year? Or can some be done in a semester?
Mark-O

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naturegirl - I'll be taking my PGCE in October in the UK. A PGCE, PGDE and any other permutation of those letters(!) amounts to the same thing - acquiring QT (Qualified Teacher) status in the many countries that offer it such as Hong Kong, United Kingdom, Australia etc.

The PGCE course is an academic year i.e. October-June if pursued in a full-time capacity. I believe that some institutions offer this qualification in a part-time format. I'm not certain, but I think the length of the course is then more like 2-3 years(?)

Lazjar - The best PGCE course depends on you and your career aspirations. If I presume that you want to go into TEFL afterwards then I've been advised that either a Secondary School PGCE in English or a Primary PGCE would be your best bets. Each has their benefits and drawbacks.

As I said, I'm doing a PGCE this year and so know a bit about PGCEs in the UK. PM me if you need specifics.
dez

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much time is involved in getting a PGCE per week?
waxwing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did it (admittedly 10 years ago), it was one year full time. Full time means 9-5ish 5 days a week. That is, start in September, end next September. Like an MSc. Although I think it was scaled down in summer, I don't remember 100%.
It's a bit tough if you're used to a normal student's calendar Smile .
dmb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it make a difference if you do a PGCE in Scotland or England. I know that at the international school here, in Istanbul, it doesn't but what about other countries?
Afra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a PGCE in Post-Compulsory Education with the University of Greenwich some years ago. It was distance - but you had to live in the UK - with a limited attendance requirement. At the time, it was funded by the LEA, the same as any PGCE, but prior learning was assessed and with a degree and CELTA/Trinity Cert, you entered into the second year. There was also a requirement that you had a teaching job of a certain number of hours per week and if, after one observed class, you didn't 'pass' that TP, there would be more mentored TP.
This course is really for experienced teachers at tertiary level who want an acceptable teaching qualification in England and Wales and who are prepared or able to do a lot of work alone. Essays were assessed by the TT staff of the University and constructive feedback was given. There was also a reflective element written over the year.
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
Does it make a difference if you do a PGCE in Scotland or England. I know that at the international school here, in Istanbul, it doesn't but what about other countries?

If you're intending to teach in Scotland then it was always easier if you did your PGCE in Scotland as you then got automatic membership of the General Teaching Council (GTC) for Scotland. I speak in the past as I know there were moves to set up a GTC for England but I'm not sure if this has happened yet as I haven't needed to join since the idea was put forward (can anyone tell us about this?).

I know that it is now easier for a PGCE holder from an English University to gain membership of the GTC for Scotland as my partner managed this in 2 months.
dez

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waxwing wrote:
When I did it (admittedly 10 years ago), it was one year full time. Full time means 9-5ish 5 days a week. That is, start in September, end next September. Like an MSc. Although I think it was scaled down in summer, I don't remember 100%.
It's a bit tough if you're used to a normal student's calendar Smile .

I was asking because there are a number of jobs that I've heard about where you work what seems to be full-time hours. How can you work a full-time job and do this PGCE? If the work outside class is anything like it was for the CELTA I don't see how you could.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: pgce Reply with quote

Doing a PGCE means being a full-time student.
dez

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: pgce Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Doing a PGCE means being a full-time student.

I wonder how those jobs in HK expect you to teach FT and go to school FT. It's part of the requirements to be a NET teacher there. You have to complete the PGCE within your first year of employment if you don't have one.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: PGCE and money Reply with quote

I did it in the pre-Thatcher era when students nearly always gota GRANT from the State.

As an aging wrinkly I have difficulty in coming to terms with the new system of higher education in the Yookay.
mb2086

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure English is not a subject in which there is a priority for recruting teachers in the UK. However that doesn't mean you can't do it or won't get acceptance on a one year PGCE course. As for being a student anyone accepted on to a PGCE automatically is entitled to �6000 towards living expenses and no tuition fees to pay. I would recommend the Open University to do it with because it means you would not be tied to any particular location and they have a particuarly good reputation. Also they have a-lot of information about the PGCE and even conduct paid 'trials' for people considering becoming qualified teachers:-

http://search.open.ac.uk/kbroker/open/search.sim?qt=pgce&go.x=0&go.y=0&sr=0&nh=20&cs=iso-8859-1&sb=0&hs=0&sc=public&ha=1&mt=0&to=0&sm=0

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: