Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching drums?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnlamb

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Teaching drums? Reply with quote

Hey I am a drummer from Portland, OR, USA im am looking to move out of the US and am looking for somewhere I can make a living playing @ teaching private drum lessons. I have been doing it in the states for a while now.
Anyone have any input? Thanks!
zakiah25

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: low pay over here Reply with quote

Somewhere I ran into a group of wandering Berbers who played an assortment of musical instruments including drums. They could probably brush up on a few lessons but your payment would probably be in camel milk and goat's meat, with the odd basket thrown in.
Er.....you do teach English as well, don't you?
bnix

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: The Sound Distant Drums Reply with quote

Well,Zakiah,if he can't find a gig as a drummer,he COULD teach English.Why not? Everyone else does! Smile

Makes you wonder why a guy looking for a gig as a drummer would post on this board(I am not saying it is wrong,mind you, just a little curious) Of course,a while back someone posted asking about work walking dogs in Warsaw...so....

Really,I hope he finds a job as a drummer.Wonder if he has also posted on the Korean forum..he might have more luck there...

By the by,how is the camel? Maynard or is it Manfred? Smile
johnlamb

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am asking this forum for 2 reasons-
(1) yall are in Thailand and I am not- I am fishing for information. Besides- chances are @ least a few of you are musicians.....
(2) Yall are teachers. Right now I have a deal @ a high school where I teach private lessons @ the high scool. Some of you might know whether this is feasable or not. Do Thai schools even *have* band programs @ all? There is lots about the subject yall might be able to fill me in on....
johnlamb

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW- teaching english is not out of the question, either. As long as I get to play music, I could easily hold a day job. But being able to play is a deal-breaker for me.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: dogs and drums Reply with quote

I can't explain why, but I felt more positive about the would-be teacher of Drums than about the would-be dog-walker in Warsaw.

Japan must be full of people who would love to learn Drums from a real American, and pay for the privilege !
Celeste

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine teaches EFL here in Japan, but teaches guitar as privates. There is also a Japanese-African style drum band that I have met a few times. Must be at least one kid who needs lessons.
richard ame

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: other teaching skills Reply with quote

Hi Mr Lamb
I think you may have hit on a new thread here ,your extra skill has reminded me about my other teaching ability, as a driving instructor in the U.K for about 10 years I even had my own driving school and I threw all up to come out here ,there must be a market over here god knows the Turks don't have a clue and Mirror signal manouvre . I wonder if there are others out there who may have a second string to their bow ????
johnlamb

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

japan, eh?
don't you need a bachelors to get a visa @ all?
zakiah25

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Possibility? Reply with quote

Why don't you combine your talents and with some training get a job as a music teacher? There have been some job ads recently for this in the international websites.
I wish I was in Thailand, I need a holiday, however I just looked out the window and all I could see was desert, sand dunes and Manfred the camel eating a date palm.
Bnix, if Manfred doesn't improve soon with his racing training then he could soon be replaced by a Maynard!
johnlamb

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have any desire to teach band classes. Drum lessons are something I enjoy, but even the smaller group classes I teach can be quite a bit taxing.
My focus is mostly on performing. not that I could do that as a band instructor, but I would expect to make @ least a fair portion of my income that way.
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Drumming & Teaching Reply with quote

From time to time, I see ads in the local paper -- local bands looking for musicians or vocalists. A number of my EFL students take music lessons, mostly guitar lessons, but I'm sure somebody has to be taking drum lessons somewhere, too.

You could probably slip by the immigration authorities if you gave private drum lessons. (Note: I'm not recommending it, just saying it could probably be done.) However, playing drums in a band is a lot more public, and I doubt you could get a work visa to do that. Besides, if you had enough working hours as an EFL teacher to get a work visa for that job and do it well, I doubt that you'd have time to play in a band, too. Many local bands play some horrendous schedules -- 1:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., 10:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. -- plus practice time.

My advice: Don't spread yourself too thin. As a newbie adjusting to a new job, a new culture, and all, don't try to take on too much especially to start with.

Best wishes!
Smile
MissusFish

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Japan Reply with quote

Japan is worth it just to go & join a taiko(traditional Japanese drums) group.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: