Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arriving In Mexico with a One-Way Ticket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nic

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Arriving In Mexico with a One-Way Ticket Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

Quick question: I'm in the 'ticket booking phase' of my travels. Laughing And I'm wondering, will it look suspicious at all if I arrive in Mexico City on a one way ticket (with a tourist visa in tow)?. . . Will they question that at all??

What d'ya think?

N
dduck

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Go straight to jail, do not collect 200 UKP Reply with quote

Hi Nic,

I arrived in Guatemala on the back of a 1-way ticket, worrying about the same question. It was really straightforward, they didn't even take one look at my ticket, boom bang here have 90 days on us!

When I crossed the border from Guatemala into Mexico by bus I read in my Footprint guide that they sometimes only give out 15 days to tourists which really would have messed up my plans. The immigration guy asked me where I was going - I was worried they'd expect me to give a full address - when I simply said San Crist�bal de las Casas y lo max�mo tiempo possible everything was hunky dory.

I suggest that if you are asked say that you plan on travelling down through Central and South America and don't know when, where, why you'll be leaving. Should do the trick.

I actually had more trouble getting into Canada a couple of years ago and that was with a two way ticket!. Go figure! Confused

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nic

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: one way ticket it is Reply with quote

Thanks for your insight Iian. I'll keep that in mind:)

N
Nic

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Iain Reply with quote

Whoops I spelled your name wrong!! I'm sorry - and I was worried about that too,

There, I got it right this time Iain,

thanks again,

N
Nic

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Can you get your tourist visa extended?? Reply with quote

Can you get your tourist visa extended?? (once you've been in the country for the 'stamped' length of time)
dduck

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in Mexico about 10 days. I've not had to worry about that yet. The maximum you can get is 180 days offically. I've read in my Footprint guide that the author made regular trips to the border and managed to stay in Mexico for 5 years without any trouble. Much easier to get yourself a FM3 work visa and do things properly, if you ask me.

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: extending visas Reply with quote

You can go to immigration close to or on the day your tourist visa expires and have it renewed. sometimes, they'll max it out to 180 days, other times, they'll ask when you are leaving and give you up to that day. On last check, it was costing around 200 pesos at DF airport migra for the renew.

Getting the FM3 takes care of those problems too, though it can depend on where you get it and how. Check with an employer on getting FM3, which can go around 1400 pesos.
Nic

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Tourist Visa Reply with quote

Thanks for this info! I will look into the FM3.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: