Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Behaviour of Guys in Taiwan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy in Taiwan

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: Behaviour of Guys in Taiwan Reply with quote

I am sick and tired of the Taipei scene. Last month I brought my wife to a disco in Taipei because she wanted to check it out. As I went to the bar to buy her a drink she was"mauled" by a rather large westerner. Now I am not a big guy, so I went to the bouncer and in my best chinese I explained the situation. C'mon guys we are guests in this Country therefore we should act our ages. Culturally speaking Chinese/Taiwanese girls will not say "Stop".

This problem seems to be a Taipei thing though. As I have never encountered these problems in Kaohsiung, Tainan or Taichung.
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I think you identify a real problem but it's not fair to label all foreign men in Taiwan like that. You did say it's more of a Taipei problem. I'd say its more of a Roxy 99, Carnegies (and maybe a few more places) problem. I don't really know the solution to the problem... any ideas?
Sunpower

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the the poster says, it's a Roxy 99 problem.

I've seen some pretty low class behaviour from White men in these places.

For example, physically grabbing a girl by the arm as she passes. Obviously, if he did that back in Canada he'd no doubt have a problem with not only the girl but her friends/boyfriends.

Here some guys who go to these places look down on their hosts it seems.

Like I said, they'd probably be thumped if they tried it back in Canada or the States.
Andy in Taiwan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the individual who attacked my wife and myself. I applied for a job at his kindergarden, he looked familiar and then it clicked in. He's working Illegally at Sunshine Kindergarden on Heping East road. This is more of a personal message to the individual. We all make deciscions. We all must accept responsibility for our actions. We all must pay the price for our actions. My wife wants me to "burn" him to foreign affairs. I am very tempted to do this as he all but blamed my wife for him grabbing her. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discos and night clubs are full of drunk people acting like fools and idiots. Some places have a lot, some not so many. You knew what the risks were when you went into that place. It is full of both western and local drunks and drug abusers. You should have made your point there as any type of backstabbing behavior will probably be reciprocated. If you really want to do something, file an official report with the local authorities about the drugs being used and put up some post about the place explaining why you have a problem with it. The local business people only motivated by money or the loss of it.
Andy in Taiwan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You should have made your point there as any type of backstabbing behavior will probably be reciprocated. If you really want to do something, file an official report with the local authorities about the drugs being used and put up some post about the place explaining why you have a problem with it.

Ummm I never mentioned drugs to any extent. Back home (Canada for me) this would not happen. I was more making a comment about the behaviour of guys here. As for "backstabbing behaviour", well in the "Adult World" when somebody assaults (physically or sexually) what are the consequences of said behaviour? Usually the individual would be charged and a trial would ensue. This is not high school, or even university. We make "real" choices and we have to live by them.

Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you haven't noticed but this is not the adult world. This is Taiwan, a place were maturity levels seldom make it past puberty. The local culture dictates that women are a lower life form and thus any man has the god given right to do as he likes to them. To put it politely, it is a childish, chauvinistic and ignorant way of thinking and acting. Many western men come and stay in Taiwan because they can get away with this kind of behavior. My guess is your wife is Chinese as most men don't have the balls to do this to a women who would lay them out with beer bottle. If you really want to change this kind of behavior start mentioning some names and addresses. Not everyone has been assimilated into the local culture and you will probably see some very strong responses from people.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle wrote:
Quote:
My guess is your wife is Chinese as most men don't have the balls to do this to a women who would lay them out with beer bottle.
Ha, aha, haaa!!
That's what I'm saying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: