Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where can I work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justin Matthews

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Where can I work? Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm new to the world of ESL. I'm not sure about my options though. First, I'll give you my credentials.

2 years college education
TESOL certificate
Years of voluntary teaching experience
Native English speaker

From what I've learned Japan is basically out- or that it would be a struggle to survive. Does anyone know about other countries- Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong or other places which would take on a teacher who doesn�t have a 4 year university degree?

Thanks for the help!

J
sojourner

Location: nice, friendly, easy-going (ALL) Peoples' Republic of China

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin,

In China, you'd probably be able to pick up a job in a language school - but because of the competion that you would,undoubtedly, face from FTs with tertiary qualifications and several years teaching experience, it would probably be difficult for you to find a job in the most sought-after locations such as Shanghai, Beijing, or the major cities in Quwandong (sp !). Anyway,working in one of the minor cities in China isn't the end of the world - most contain some reasonably modern facilities,such as KFC outlets !

Do you have any work experience,such as running a business or working in a govt dept ? If so,you MIGHT be able to pick up a job teaching Business English at one of the lowest ranking colleges or unis.

To obtain a decent job in China - and most other countries, for that matter - you require a degree. You mentioned that you have completed two years of tertiary studies.Why don't you resume your studies ? If you're so desperate to get out of your home country as soon as possible, it might be possible for you to complete your degree through an online or distance learning programme. Otherwise, shop around for unis that have such programmes and enquire about cross-crediting arrangements. If you can't find any suitable colleges or unis in the US, try Australia - tertiary courses there are usually cheaper than equivalent ones provided by Nth American institutions.

For Sth Korea,a degree is essential in order for you to get the required (E2) visa.You might be able to pick up some work in Vietnam - however,I doubt very much whether employers will reimburse your airfare and provide you with accommodation (as is the case in China).If interested in Vietnam,do a search for postings by Rhonda Place. Prior to coming to China, Rhonda was working in Vietnam.

Good luck.

Peter
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taiwan apparently accepts this combination of qualifications. You may face some difficulty as not every school knows it and/ or may not want the trouble of certifying you throught he government, but officially a tesl with a two year credential is acceptable. I know of one major language school chain that will take almost certainly hire 2year and tesl holders. Go to www.hess.com.tw

Good luck. BTW, I support much of what was written above. At one point, I had a two year credential and was considering going to Asia with it, much like yourself. However, I changed my mind and completed the BA. I'm glad I did. Not only is a BA the standard entry level requirement for English teaching in most parts of the world, it will also open up more doors for you in other fields. Then there is the satisfaction of completing a personal goal. Really, you should finish if at all possible. Heck, come to Taiwan and finish your BA through distance learning or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: