Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Westernization or Globalization

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaelyn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Westernization or Globalization Reply with quote

Regardless of anyone's deeper motive, we are all, theoretically, teaching English in areas where that is not the indigenous language.

Who has observations of our impact upon the cultures we encounter? Who feels that we, intentionally or not, impose our Western culture and value upon the people we are reaching out to, and who feels we are rather providing a tool for a more global evolution of thought for all cultures, language merely being an agreed upon standard for sharing different thoughts and ideas?
Paulie2003

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In America, sugar is often packaged and then described a a 'nutritious cereal' - I sometimes think of the English language in a similar vein. A 'common' language to all of mankind is not going to help us build a peaceful world any more than eating USAmerica's 'junk food' is going is going to solve the worlds' nutritional needs. Besides, there are countless masses who could care less about learning a 'universal' language - especially one that is often so ambiguous in its own right. If an English speaking father or mother cannot speak to his or her own offspring in a manner that can be understood - I sincerely doubt that two people separated by thousands of miles both geographically and culturally are going to fare much better. I personally have encountered many in my travels who wouldn't speak to me in English even though they had the ability to do so....but don't ask me how I'd know...
moonraven

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us are teaching English in countries where the official language is also not the indigenous language of the area. Spanish--and Portugese--are certainly not indigenous to Latin America. This imperialist linguistic process has happened before.

If you are really a teacher--in the way that Paulo Freire defines a teacher--you SHOULD be too busy assisting folks, including yourself, in become conscious to be just\ teaching English.
Jaelyn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: consciousness transforming reality Reply with quote

That's a wonderful message, and i've never understood why the people I have tried to share that with resist. Is it merely my American audience? Are the people YOU are teaching, more open to the idea of transformation?
moonraven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say, as I haven't taught in the US since 1993--when they WERE open to just about anything. The most advantageous age is that of junior high and high school here in Mexico, but university students are also open.

One of the nicest compliments I have received as a teacher was from a 9th grade girl the day of graduation: she said that they would never have the wool pulled over their eyes because I had allowed them to become conscious.
Paulie2003

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you say 'conscious'?...just out of curiosity - what were they before that?

Children generally seem to display an inordinate amount of wisdom as pertains to the human condition...and why not?...after all they have all those exceptional 'role models'!!!

We need to be sure of what we share...could be that we just don't care...
to be the exception some of us just may dare Exclamation
moonraven

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose they felt they were unconscious before.
Paulie2003

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why...I still have some of those type in my class - even after I�ve been teaching for a few months!!! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: