Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ankara University Turkish Language course

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghost

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Ankara University Turkish Language course Reply with quote

Does anyone have information on the intensive Turkish language course at Ankara University during the summer months? They run courses (minimum 2 weeks) throughout the year.

There is a 4 week intensive Turkish language course every month, which includes a homestay, and around 4 hours of tuition daily. The price for this is $1090 U.S. which seems reasonable if you break it down (i.e. $40 U.S. daily for tuition, board and lodging, and school books, materials etc...). The board covers breakfast and dinner. Lunch has to be bought.

You can register with Languages Abroad.com (www.LanguagesAbroad.com) or call their toll free number, in the U.S.A. and Canada, 1-800-219-9924.

Any better deals out there?

Any others who have done intensive Turkish language courses in Turkey? Any info. appreciated.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: Daily News Reply with quote

The Turkish Daily News has regular ads for courses on Turkish and for schools offering these. Lots in Istanbul and my feeling is that Istanbul is a nicer place than Ankara.

I do not know if the Turkish Daily News is available on the web. I always read it in hard copy format when I am passing through Byzantium.

IH in Istanbul offers courses in Turkish.

Last edited by scot47 on Sun May 18, 2003 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
nimra_ghalat

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to find out more about Turkish courses in Turkey as well, specifically what kind of methodology is used and how effective these courses are.
ghost

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Language schools Reply with quote

I had one response from a school which is advertised in 'Lonely Planet' guide. This school is in Taksim. They offer one to one tuition, but it is expensive at $15 U.S. per hour...and there is no homestay.

The program at the University of Ankara is cheaper and offers a homestay. Homestays offer a lot of extra practice. I have used different homestay programs (with tuition) to learn Spanish, German, Portuguese (Brazil variety) and Italian...and a four week homestay is worth 6 months 'conventional' tuition, in my experience. It is all those mundane little conversations at the dinner table, ironically, which help with language acquisition....that is how kids learn...and adults, if they are willing. You get tons of practice....

You will not have the creature comforts of home, but it is an interesting insight into the culture of the home country. All the homes are vetted by the schools offering the tuition part. This is the program which I have registered for. You have to book your place fast, as they are popular.

Istanbul is a more attractive city than Ankara, but in Ankara, you will generally have more opportunities to practice Turkish, as there are fewer tourists there, and people will speak to you in Turkish. Also there are nice places to visit close to Ankara, like Safranbolu, where you can go for weekends. If you do not like homestays, there are plenty of cheap hotels in Ankara...at least there were, the last time I was there (in 1998). The prices for the basic, but clean hotels, were in the $5-$7 U.S. range. This included private shower and lavatory. You can use the 'Lonely Planet' or 'Let's Go' or 'Guide du Routard' (French) for info. on the deals. Many of the best deals, however, are not even listed. Walk around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: