Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New term

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: New term Reply with quote

I see little input since Scot on Monday ...What is going on, are all the Uk teachers asleep or on another site? I guess the new term has taken its toll and hangovers don't help early morning posting and meeting and keeping up with new teachers in the evening is also taking its toll.
So here I am on Saturday morning and nothing much new happening in the the UK. I think I 'll go mushroom picking but it is already 8:44 and most of them will have already been picked.
What were you doing this morning?
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: New term Reply with quote

You're right it's busy with student unlike May-Sept when there isn't much on workwise. Now all the level tests are out of the way it's eyes down for a full house. Does everyone have an influx of Czech students? last year I had a mix of British Asian, French & Chinese. this year it's all Czech & Chinese with a few other European states represented.

As for this morning, mushroom picking wasn't an option, I entertained a group of Glaswegians (part-time students and lucky for them none were wearing Hun shirts) with the delights of topic sentences before retiring to the pub to cheer on Birmingham City because they were Man Ure's opposition today.

Hail Hail
Will.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: ...and diagnostic testing. Reply with quote

Same here mate,
Mainly Poles and Hungarians but quite a few Czechs and amazingly we have a very large group of Lithuanian and Latvian. Get your article and preposition worksheets ready; you'll be teaching it again and again this year.
We (the teaching staff) predicted the influx of new Europeans would create greater demand. Admin cut back by 50 % the classes we teach and we had twice as many candidates as last year ...Oppportunity knocks ...and walks away. We had to refer them to the college down the road. Insanity! Sorry, we have the staff, the rooms, the time, the students but we don't have management behind us.
Anyone doing diagnostic testing and have a good feedback form for profiling students? I'd like to do a comparison of materials so I have an idea what everyone else is using and who has the most suitable kit.
Will.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: ...and diagnostic testing. Reply with quote

Same here mate,
Mainly Poles and Hungarians but quite a few Czechs and amazingly we have a very large group of Lithuanian and Latvian. Get your article and preposition worksheets ready; you'll be teaching it again and again this year.
We (the teaching staff) predicted the influx of new Europeans would create greater demand. Admin cut back by 50 % the classes we teach and we had twice as many candidates as last year ...Oppportunity knocks ...and walks away. We had to refer them to the college down the road. Insanity! Sorry, we have the staff, the rooms, the time, the students but we don't have management behind us.
Anyone doing diagnostic testing and have a good feedback form for profiling students? I'd like to do a comparison of materials so I have an idea what everyone else is using and who has the most suitable kit.
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With me it's many more Poles and Slovaks who seem to be cornering the local market in au pairs and care assistants. Contrary to the bleats of the tabloid press they all seem to be working very hard and joining my ranks of hard-working Thai, Turkish and Chinese chefs. It's a pity my moral scruples don't permit me to make a tour of my students' restaurants looking for cheap meals.Smile

As for diagnostics Will, I was going to ask you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: