Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for France

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucko2004

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Advice for France Reply with quote

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are wanting to move to France to hopefully teach English, some time in the next 3-5 months. I've read some pretty informative stuff but not anything that matches our situation so I'm hoping to get some advice by posting this.

Anyway, we are both Australian however we are both also UK citizens (which gets us easy access to France). We also both have university degrees in (in Business). We will both probably also get TESOL quals. Also, I have 6 months English teaching experience in Japan. My girlfriend doesn't have any teaching experience but her current job has her dealing with foreign people eveyday through an international internship program. Oh, and one more thing, neither of us speak very much French Embarassed

But anyway, thought we'd do some research, we have the following questions:

- if we move to a big city like Paris or Strasbourg or Lyon what would our chances be for us to score jobs that arent too far apart?

- what are the salaries like and will we have enough to survive (and even save?) with both of us living in, say, a small one bedroom apartment?

- what would the work conditions be like? Hours per week, days off etc.

- how much of a disadvantage will it be not knowing very much French? (we do plan on learning as much as possible before coming though)

- we know accommodation will be expensive, but how much really? (we live pretty humbly anyway). And will it be difficult to find?

- how much will we need when arriving if we don't have a job lined up?

- how much will we need if we do both have jobs lined up?

We have a million more questions but I won't exhaust you with them now (if I already haven't!!)

Cheers,

Bucko
rogan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since this question was last posted, so here's a quick reply:-

If you have a pssport from an EU member country you are entitled to live and work and pay taxes and other deductions from your salary in any other EU country.
Most companies/Unis/schools will only employ people legally, (with a work permit if you are not a national of an EU country)
If you need a work permit then you become difficult and expensive to employ because getting the work permit is expensive and time consuming for the employer - and there are lots and lots of qualified EU nationals available just across the Channel.

Living costs in France can be high, so if you come without a job bring enough cash to live on until you get the first salary cheque.
Most landlords require a copy of your work contract and 3 months salary slips and a bank account number before they will rent you a place.

There are lots of difficulties in getting all those things - like Catch 22 - no place to rent without salary slips, no job without a work permit, no salary slips without a job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: