Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in Bali

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcsmith09

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Working in Bali Reply with quote

Hello,

I have had a job offer from EF in Bali. The school is in Denpasar. The salary is about 6.5 million Rps. I have been to Bali before so I know a little about Bali life but I had a couple of questions to people who might know.

1. How do you get to work, Is it easier to buy a old car or catch a ride with someone on his motorcycle? I guess what are the options......

2. Is there a good place(ie bulletin board, real estate agent) to find a house rental? I don't want to live in Denpasar. I am thinking either Sanur or maybe Kuta/Legian area. Whats the going rate for something simple.

3. The school says it will take care of the Visa, should I do that before I arrive or after. I am in Japan now and pretty close to the Indonesian consulate.

4. Is it true what I have heard about being "trapped" in Indonesia if I dont like the job I cant just give them proper notice and leave? sounds a little stretched to me but who knows....

Any other advice someone might have on living in Bali would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Ryan
Chester

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: Working in bali Reply with quote

Visa: the company can send a letter to the indo consulate in Japan. You can contact them and confirm. when they have the letter, you can send your passport there and they will process the visa. Or you can just fly to bali on tourist visa and the company will later fly you to singapore to process your KITAS.

Once you have signed a contact you usually are stuck for one year. Indonesian immigration requires a stamp from your employer/sponsor to allow you OUT of indonesia once you have the work permit. you can claim personal hardship (eg a family tragedy) to get an exit permit from your employer to visit a dying relative and claim you will return - but dont.

one year in bali cant be that bad though, even if you dont like the management or classes - what can they do to you? enjoy!
AsiaTraveller

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all areas of Denpasar are bad! There are some neighbourhoods that are quite nice. Where exactly is the EF school? Jl. Hayam Wuruk? That's an impossibly busy, narrow thoroughfare leading to the centre of town from the east.

You might want to live on that side of town (east). There is public transport in most parts of Denpasar.

If you drive from Legian/Kuta or Sanur into Denpasar every morning, you'll be caught in frequently hideous traffic. Taking public transport (closed vans or air-con taxis) is an option, but it will be just as slow. Public transport is quite cheap and goes to all parts of Denpasar.

If you must live at the beach, choose quiet, traditional Sanur over hectic and jam-packed Kuta. Also, Sanur is much closer to the EF site on Jl. Hayam Wuruk. Commuting from Kuta could conceivably double your commute time.

A good alternative is living in Renon, which is a 'suburb' between Sanur and the eastern part of Denpasar (where EF is located). It is served by public transport.

By all means do NOT drive a scooter, which is quite dangerous!!
rcsmith09

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it! Very Happy oh one other question: The hassling you know the hey mate, buy this...etc does that ever cool down after the locals see you have been there for a while? I visited Bali last May and had a great time but it seemed like I couldn't go anywhere without someone trying to sell something to me.

Cheers,

Ryan
AsiaTraveller

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are about 3 million people on the island of Bali. Chances are that you won't be able to meet all of them, so somebody somewhere sometime will always see you as a new turis with a bulging wallet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: