Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone know anything about the ACC (Brisbane) TESOL Cert?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King of Babylon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Anyone know anything about the ACC (Brisbane) TESOL Cert? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if anyone can tell me anything positive or negative about Australia City College at Kenmore, Brisbane, Queensland. It offers a Cert IV in TESOL. I applied to do that today, for the December course offering.

Thanks.
sojourner

Location: nice, friendly, easy-going (ALL) Peoples' Republic of China

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi King,

I'm a little curious about this 'ACC' - is it part of Qld's TAFE system ? What exactly is this 'Cert 4 in TESOL' ? How long does it last for ? Does it include a component in which trainees will have to teach actual ESL students, as is the situation in CELTA and Trinity courses ? Has ACC told you that their 'Cert 4' course is some sort of "guaranteed pathway to good jobs o'seas" , or words to that affect ?

From glancing through some of your other postings, I've noticed that you appear quite keen to go to Japan ? And after that, you are hoping to find ESL work in other countries - correct ? Well, if you want some basic TESL training that is recognised by reputable employers around the world, you should be considering doing a CELTA or Trinity College course. ACC's 'cert 4' course may well teach you a lot of useful things about TESL - but, would it be recognised o'seas ? Brand name recognition is all-important in the world of ESL - so, stick with the two names that are synonomous with good quality !

In Brisbane, I believe that East Coast College of English (on Ann St) still runs regular Trinity courses. I also believe that CELTA can be done at UQ. There might also be other places in Brisbane that run CELTA courses. If you find that the cost of CELTA and Trinity training in Australia to be too prohibitive, why not do a CELTA course in Bangkok, en route to East Asia ?

You also mentioned something about Nova, in Japan. I have never worked for them - but as it appears that they expect their teachers to teach in the 'Nova way', they MAY be reluctant to accept people who have undergone CELTA/Trinity training. Nova, Geos, etc, may train you - but such skills may not necessarily be transferrable to other ESL teaching situations. You may have a better teaching experience if you work at a small school that is not controlled by any of the 'big 4' organisations. Also, you should consider the Jet scheme.

If you can't land a suitable job in Japan, why not try China ! With a degree, you'd probably be able to get a job in a college or uni here. In most tertiary institutions, you'd probably be given plenty of leeway in how you teach - a far better situation than what you'd find in many (most ?) language schools, which you should avoid ! As the teaching hours at most unis/colleges are not too onerous, you'll probably have plenty of time to do some private tutoring. For most uni/college jobs, you'll be provided with your own rent-free, fully-furnished, non-shared flat. Also, employers will reimburese your airfare. The cost of living in China is quite low. Consequently, you can have a good life in China - and still save money, provided that you don't frequent Western-style bars !

Feel free to contact me should you require any further info re ESL training and China.

Good luck.

Peter
King of Babylon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response Peter.

I am looking into the ACC course mainly because its cheaper than the CELTA, but it gives you some accreditation to teach ESL in Australia. The first two weeks of the course is done in class and designed to allow people to teach anywhere overseas, and equipped with that it is possible to go to China on a program they have. The rest of the course is by correspondence and it completes the Cert 4.

I am aware of the fact that I don't need any TESOL qualification at all to teach in Japan at the eikaiwas or with JET, but my plan is to come back to Australia after going to Japan (strongly considering JET program), and equipped with the experience and certificate apply for ESL teaching jobs here. Another reason for me to take the course would be just learning the skills.

My trip to Japan is purely to get to earn money and have teaching experience... I see it exactly as what it is, a job - its not that I have a burning desire to travel to Asia. I don't need to go there just to have an Asian girlfriend, eat Asian food or learn about the culture, there's plenty of opportunities for that here. Asia just happens to be where the demand is for ESL teachers. And Japan seems easier for westerners to live than China, and the language sure sounds easier to pronounce!

If you have found happiness where you are, I'm glad to hear it.
Take care,
KoB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: