Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching as a Western woman in Poland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Teaching as a Western woman in Poland Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it was/is like to teach as a Western woman in Poland. Where certain expectations/restrictions placed on you? Is is generally safe? How are you treated by the men?

Any info provided would be greatly appreciated, I'm thinking of applying to teach in Poland and concerned about how I will be perceived as a woman and a North American.

Thanks

Kate
sjansen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Women in Poland Reply with quote

You're pretty safe in Poland, and just as safe as you are in North America. I'd walk around the city by myself at all hours and I felt safe, in fact I was more worried about stepping in dog poop than getting accosted. I found people stared but I guess coming from Canada I looked and dressed just a little differently (Poles tend to dress up a bit more). It irked my at first, but then I just started waving at them like they were old friends. The look on their faces was priceless. My guide book said that women shouldn't go into bars alone, doing so will give the impression your a hooker. Not reading this first I did it, but I think all the teaching books in front of me told people I wasn't "a working woman". All in all I think you're pretty save. Of course all cities have a dodgy area, including mine in Canada. The only sterotypes I encountered is that you're expected to be quite domesticated (ie cook & clean) and I couldn't talk my students into taking me to a football match, they didn't think it was a proper place for a woman. Then again they never heard me swear Wink
Harry Swindells

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Harry Swindells on Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: "Western" Women Reply with quote

Like Harry i found the use of "Western" rather strange in the context of Poland. During the Cod War Poland was in the "Eastern Bloc" but as Harry points out it is a predominantly Catholic Country. Not in the Middle East !!!!
Eva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Poland Reply with quote

[quote]
I would like to add a couple of things from the point of view of a student who was taught at Teacher Training College by the Brits and Americans. I remember exactly the impressions they made on me and my classmates: we just loved them!!! it's true that sometimes we seemed reserved towards our teachers, but it had to do with atmosphere in Polish schools in the Communist Poland--we were constantly intimidated! 'Western' teachers were a nice change for us! We appreciated their friendly and informal attitude. We felt we could always count on them (unlike some Polish teachers)!
I wish you luck in Poland! It's a friendly place to live and work in, although people are sometimes suspicious and scared of others, but, as I mentioned above, it's due to their sad past. Once you make a friend in Poland, he will stay your friend forever. Oh, and the last thing... The image of women in Poland is changing: Although some people still think that a woman should stay at home to raise kids, clean and cook (the belief still common mainly in the countryside), more and more people believe in equal division of housework between a man & a woman. Also, more women tend to put priority on their education and career, rather than early marriage and kids.
If you have further questions, I will be more than happy to answer!!! [/quote]
Kate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Working in Poland Reply with quote

I just wanted to thank everyone for answering my inquiry. I appreciate it!

Smile

Kate
sakura

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Working in Poland Reply with quote

I have been teaching in Poland now for about a year and a half and it's been really good for the most part .

I think Polish men are charming , romantic ,kind and gentle with a great sense of humour . In my experience they also tend to be very down to earth and dependable .

I have a Polish boyfriend and we've been together over a year now and Iam very happy here . I hope you will be too.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no striking cultural differences between Poland and the so-called "West" as far as women are concerned. As the above post says, Poland was considered a Western country right up until 1945 - ie, for the vast majority of its history.
Polish women are often educated and well-informed, and they certainly take great pride in their appearance. It's true that women are to some extent expected to conform to 'traditional values' - cooking, cleaning and relatively early marriage, but that is changing and Poland is full of power dressing career women.
As a teacher, you should face no particular challanges because of your gender. You will be respected by male and female students alike - in fact, its highly unlikely that you'll find Polish students to be anything other than friendly, dilligent and with a great sense of humour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: