Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in hotels...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justapirate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Teaching in hotels... Reply with quote

First, here in Costa Rica, the most unproductive way to think about things is to think...'you would think that they would'...Wrong! So, why Naturgirl would venture opinions which are speculations about a different culture...I just don't know.

Small hotels don't have money to teach employees, for the most part.

Employee turnover is high. Employers know it.

Employees work irrigular hours so time for classes is impossible. It is rare indeed that classes would ever be during work time. And they work to all hours.

During the 'high season', hotels will not divert employee attention from just working. Off season, they reduce staff.

Many of the people who work in the hotels, especially outlying areas, are very low on the educational food chain and learn very little, when push comes to shove.

To work in the Marriotts, etc. you have to speak English before they hire you.

THE VERY LAST PLACE I WOULD EXPECT TO FIND WORK IS A HOTEL....someone might get lucky but don't ever hang your hat on it.

P.S.....I don't know everything but...I was payed to teach in Jaco, by a major company, every weekend for over a year. I was provided an apartment and a healthy salary. I talked to every hotel in Jaco over that year, many with introductions. I talked to every bank in town. Very very little money was available for English. I heard a lot of talk...but little action. I was approached more than once about opening a school( the locals HATE the one that is there). I never could see it working out financially. I talked to Marriott, Los Suenos. They were nothing more than rude.

And in Costa Rica, in the corporate world, or most schools I know of(Berlitz etc), nobody has ever heard of a Celta, PHD, degree, diploma, or any other certificate. I am sure that a few teachers have an official release document from a Federal Prison and nothing else.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just trying to be helpful. Latin american culturethough different from country to country does have some similarities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: