Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can an American with little french work in France?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carabk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: can an American with little french work in France? Reply with quote

I'm wrapping up my BA, and thought it might be nice to take one semester, and study in France (I've put that last semester of french off till the last minute). Is it possible to get a job that juuust pays the bills in France as an American who speaks very little french, or rather, is it probable? I could teach English as I've done in CHina before -and I do understand that France is an altogether different kettle of fish), or nanny I suppose. Any opinion you might have would be greatly appreciated. I know it's a long shot, but I read below that if an American signs up for some classes, they can work for 20 hours. I would really love to improve my French and where better to do that than in France???
rogan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Bad news for non European teachers Reply with quote

It's been a while since this question was last posted, so here's a quick reply:-

If you have a pssport from an EU member country you are entitled to live and work and pay taxes and other deductions from your salary in any other EU country.
Most companies/Unis/schools will only employ people legally, (with a work permit if you are not a national of an EU country)
If you need a work permit then you become difficult and expensive to employ because getting the work permit is expensive and time consuming for the employer - and there are lots and lots of qualified EU nationals available just across the Channel.

Living costs in France can be high, so if you come without a job bring enough cash to live on until you get the first salary cheque.
Most landlords require a copy of your work contract and 3 months salary slips and a bank account number before they will rent you a place.

There are lots of difficulties in getting all those things - like Catch 22 - no place to rent without salary slips, no job without a work permit, no salary slips without a job

PS - please don't shoot the messanger !
OzBurn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you what I've heard. And I'll throw in some speculations based on decades of experience of life, for free.

I met an American guy who went to Paris, just wanting to live there and make enough to get by. He pounded the streets for a few days and eventually (after three days, I think) found a job bartending. Paid 800 Euros a month (off the books) plus a room to sleep in.

There are thousands (millions?) of Algerians and Moroccans working illegally in Paris and the rest of France. If all you want is enough money to live on, and you are willing to work, you can probably find work, like them, but in other fields, such as tutoring English illegally.

But if you write back with questions like "What is the name of the bar?" then you are not going to make it that way... LOL

Many, many people will tell you that you can't do the legal thing, you can't get the papers, the Ministry of Fear will deport you, this, that, and the other thing, AND AS A CONSEQUENCE OF THIS, there is no way to do what you want. Such people are always available. If you believe them, then they are right, and you should take their advice. Furthermore, they are absolutely the right people to contact for most Americans, who wouldn't even consider busting their a__ working in some illegal situation for peanuts with no (gasp) medical insurance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: