Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

France, Fontainebleau Language School

View previous topic :: View next topic  
janeward33

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: France, Fontainebleau Language School Reply with quote

Does anyone have any info or experience of working for this school ? Ive just finished my celta & am looking for my 1st job. Is France a good place to start ? They are offering E17 an hour.
Has anyone had to buy their own car in France - easy or difficult insurance-wise?
Thanks in anticipation......!
go2guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, don't know the school myself but then I never worked in Paris (I was in the Lyon area). How did you find the school/how did they find you? Is the 17E hourly "gross" or "net", and how many hours are they guaranteeing you? If it's net it's not too bad for a first job, asssuming they can guarantee you some kind of minimum number of hours (never sign any sort of exclusive with them if there are no guarantees and/or perks like meal tickets, insurance, etc.). Is a car a requirement for getting the job? Make sure you find out what they pay for mileage reimbursement on any car travel you do for the job. A car will be a bonus when you apply to other schools as well once you are on the ground. Re: driver's licenses and insurance, that's a whole other potential quagmire depending on where you are from -- e.g., France will recognize licenses from 3 Canadian provinces, but not the rest!?!?!? I know people from the UK who even had difficulty dealing with the (in)famous French Admin in this regard. So, is France a good place for a first job? Well, it can be a great place to live and work once you get through all the "setting up" hurdles. An abundance of patience is definite required.
shona

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school you're talking about is always looking for teachers (ie large turnover) I've never actually taught there but I went for an interview there when I first came to France. They expect you to drive to companies in your own car and their pay is ridiculously low. The place they wanted me to teach at was a 45 minute motorway drive away (if there were no traffic jams). They do have classes within the school too, for which they charge students a fortune. Have you got a degree? I think they ask for one as well as a TEFL qualification. I wouldn't work there myself but I know people who do when there's nothing else available. It might be OK to get experience I suppose. They do have a fairly good library of EFL books I think.

It's very easy to buy and insure a car in France. Same as anywhere else I expect! You'd probably need one if you are in Fontainebleau as the public transport system (buses) there isn't that great. Train to Paris takes about 45 minutes but the station isn't in central Fontainebleau.

Rents in Fontainebleau (and France in general) aren't that cheap either and landlords are very fussy about what kind of job you have. They only accept people who earn at least three times the rent and have a CDI (permanent) contract. I doubt VERY much if the language school in question would give you one of those because they'd have to pay your holidays too! They're probably offering a CDD. Check what kind of contract you're getting.
aaronhealy1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: FontaineBleau Language School Reply with quote

Hi, just a note to ask if anyone has a website address or the actual address for Fontainebleau languge school. I am living near the town and need to get some lessons and perhaps get a second job with them but this webpage is all I can find. Thanks
rogan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Fontainbleu Reply with quote

Fontainbleu requires that you have a car before you start working for them - therefore the teaching is 'in-company' probably in hard to find industrial/commercial estates and at odd times.

It is easy to buy and insure a car in France if you have a French bank account and a French Driving License. Bank Account requires a fixed abode. A fixed abode generally requires producing (French) salary slips for the 3 previous months. Geddit ?

The hourly pay rates at Fontainbleu will leave you starving in a garret - if you can find a garret to starve in.

Bienvenu en France !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: