Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching plus cat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Teaching plus cat Reply with quote

I'm currently living in Egypt, and while here, I made the mistake of adopting a street cat. Unfortunately, I've become very attached to him, and I don't want to leave him behind (attitudes to cats in Egypt are somewhat less than friendly!!). I've heard that one way of getting him back into the UK without quarantine is to take him to an EU country for 6 months and then move back to England after that (providing he has all his shots and is chipped, of course).
Has anyone had experience keeping cats in France? I have always wanted to teach in France, but I was never sure I could afford it. I'm assuming it would be very expensive to keep a pet there, but I'm just looking for ideas and possibilities!!! Also, is it relatively easy to find a flat to rent where I can keep him?
Thanks...
rogan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this is a joke posting
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, why precisely?? Is it a problem to be attached to a pet?? You know, it does happen. And I was looking for constructive advice, not anile comments.
Since you plainly don't have a clue about my question, then don't bother replying again.
Thank you very much!!!
rogan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: meeeoow Reply with quote

look, lady, I've lived and worked in France for the last 15 years and I have taken animals both ways during that time, so I guess that I know a little more about quarantine regulations than you do.

Anine is a very good word - I bet you manage to work it into most of the conversations that you have - especially when talking to yourself or your cat.
Moore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogan - what a fantastically negative, unconstructive and downright rude couple of postings you put up. I don�t know if you had noticed, but the vast majority of people here post informative, helpful and and above all, polite messages.
rogan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: taking the .................cat Reply with quote

Well if you must, then I guess you must, so..............

Before you can take an animal into France you will need Internationally accepted certificates of vaccination. The animal will also need a tattoo and a certificate provided by a Vet, giving a detailed description (generally on a specific pro-forma and generally in an EU language) so that it can be recognised.

Then, as the animal is coming from a non EU country, it will probably be requiered to be available for a period of time so that it can be observed at regular intervals by an approved Vet from the DDASS (Direction Departemental des Affaires Sanitaires et Sociales).

Once those problems have been overcome you will then need to start looking at the regulations concerning transport of animals withing the EU zone.

These regulations are currently being changed. By the time you have satisfied all the import problems the new Community regulations should be in force.

Personally my priorities and my bank balance would be better spent elsewhere and on other projects - like paying a deposit on a place to live and organising a place to work.

However some folks do things differently.
ChicagoCubMike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sekhmet, Rogan is misinformed about current EU legislation regarding the transport of pets into the EU.

The rules for importing a pet into the EU were changed on October 1, 2004. You can visit the EU's website at europa.eu.int and do a search for the rules and the requisite forms (look under the category "Animal Health and Welfare", it's regulation 998/2003). I researched them recently to determine how to bring my cat into the EU should I decide to teach in Portugal next year. The web address is http://europa.eu.int/comm/food/animal/liveanimals/pets/nocomm_third_en.htm

The rules depend on the country from which your pet is coming and whether rabies is considered to be under control there by the EU authorities. One of the forms on the EU site lists these countries.

If the country is on this list, then you will need to download the EU's Rabies Vaccination form, in the language of the country you will be moving to (i.e. in French for your specific purposes). The form must be filled out, in French, by a nationally certified veterinarian in Egypt (your country of origin), certifiying the date and specific brand of rabies vaccine your pet has received. In addition, your pet must have either an identification tattoo or implanted microchip (only one is required, not both) that can be read in the EU, and this information will also need to be entered on the form.

If your country is not on the "rabies-free" list, or if you are brining your pet to Eire, Malta, Sweden, or the UK, your pet will need a blood test done, by an EU-approved testing facility, at least three months prior to arrival in France (the organisation that approves testing facilities, oddly enough, is located in Nancy, France, and any non-approved facility can contact the EU to apply for approval). This information would be entered into the same EU Rabies Vaccination form as additional information to the microchip/tattoo and vaccine information. I believe these latter rules apply to you because Egypt is not on the "rabies-free" list (aka Annex II Part C of Regulation 998/2003). There is no additional monitoring (or quarantine) requirement unless you intend to bring your pet into the above four countries.

For more information, you may want to also check out the Pet Travel website at http://www.pettravel.com/

I hope this helps. Obviously Rogan didn't.
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot - thats really helpful... I think I might end up staying here for a few more years - I think the money might well be an issue with this. Ah, well - it's a nice country I guess!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: