Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caledonian School?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LostInGhent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Caledonian School? Reply with quote

My best friend from college and I have been working for a year in the corporate world now and both hate it and are very ready for a change. We are looking into taking the TEFL course through the Caledonian School and then working with them through their job guarantee.

Has anyone else attended their course or worked for this school? If so what are your thoughts and advice in going to this school and life in Prague? Are there schools in Prague you can teach through and not have the TEFL course, in which case I would save $1500?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are six or seven major teacher training schools in Prague, so every month or so, quite a few newly-certified teachers hit the streets looking for work. In fact, among the Directors that I know, there are some who will no longer interview a teacher without certification PLUS previous direct experience. I wouldn't recommend trying to find employment in Prague without a cert.
In smaller cities, based on your university degree, you might have some success, even without a cert...
That said, Caledonian has been around a long time and, to my personal knowledge, is basically sound in terms of both the course and the school.
Aramas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of schools offer some form of 'job guarantee'. Some of them are intended to assist students to find a real job. Others use it to fill their (unsurprisingly frequent) in-house vacancies at outrageously exploitative rates - usually between $2 and $4 an hour!

Caledonian's website is unclear regarding pay rates under their 'job guarantee'. They give some details on expected earnings for EFL teachers, but don't specifically mention their own rates for recent graduates. Additionally, Caledonian are charging $1500USD for a generic TEFL certificate! You can do a CELTA at Akcent in Prague for the same price!

There's one born every minute. Don't be one of them. By allowing yourself to be shamelessly exploited you're taking real jobs away from real people, and shrinking the market for your own skills.
LostInGhent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you not read their website as graduates who pass their course are guaranteed a full-time position with their school, which means 20 classes for a salary of 16,500, with the capability of teaching 25 classes for 19,000?

That is the way I am reading it, as it seems pretty straight-forward, although if you are suggesting that their statement is untrue I would by all means like to know.

Is CELTA a more esteemed course than TEFL? I am not opposed to going either direction, however their guarantee of 20 classes and that salary seem pretty comforting to me when moving over there in January. I would be a bit nervous to just move there, take a course with no guarantee, and then hope I find work somehow...

What do you think?
Aramas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may mean that, but remuneration is addressed in a separate section. You can always check it out with them. Don't assume anything.

The consensus seems to be that the CELTA carries more weight than a generic TEFL course, particularly in Europe (It's administered by Cambridge University - the CELTA, not Europe Smile ). Some prefer the Trinity course (Trinity College, London), but the CELTA is the only one with the appropriate extensions (CELTYL & DELTA) if you intend to further your professional development in the field. Do a search on the forum, as the CELTA vs Generic question is asked almost weekly.

The CELTA versus generic TEFL argument always seems to revolve around whether the CELTA is worth the extra cost. Most schools in Europe seem to charge around $1500-$1700USD for a CELTA, whereas a generic 4-week TEFL certificate usually costs from half to three quarters of that. You can probably do one at your local night school for the cost of materials. A CELTA can be done in Brazil (Rio or Recif�) for $800USD, and slightly-less-reputable 4-week generic courses can be found for around $500USD in many parts of the world.

Caledonian may well be a very good school - it certainly looks rather swanky. However, they are asking a designer-label price for a generic product. Perhaps that's how they manage to afford to look like a four star hotel.

The only safety net you need is good medical insurance and money in the bank. If that's not enough for you then the TEFL industry might not be what you're looking for. Herding goats in Afghanistan is probably more secure, and almost certainly pays better Smile

Oh, and don't take too much notice of my opinions - Do some research and make up your own mind.
Cull

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm. You mention that the Caledonian school may pay as little as between 2-4 dollars an hour. That is about 50-100Kc a teaching hour.
I'm interested.
Where did you get these figures from?
Is it true?
Shame on you Embarassed
Cull

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..... and they promise you all sorts but when you finish your first day of training they take your ID and passport away and force you into the Prague sex trade. It's true!
My mate came to do a Caledonian TEFL course but now he's panhandling his ass just to get a full meal in his empty gut each day. Honest!!!!
Akcent doesn't do that.
Maybe Twisted Evil
Aramas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that Cull the Troll's claim that he was leaving this forum for Prague Caf� tuned out to be about as reliable as his other claims Smile

No bites over there? Surely there are still some real live humans in Prague that don't run when they see you coming? Razz
Cull

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer so funny Laughing Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: