Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sharjah HCT Colleges Query

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DiverNK

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Sharjah HCT Colleges Query Reply with quote

There is a possibility that I can get work at Sharjah HCT....but am getting mixed messages. I know Klem feels that the director is difficult (more detail perhaps Klem? Sorry, but I havent found other stuff being new to this site), but I would like to know more before I move there.
I am familiar with HCT - it is more about the location, where accomodation might be (Dubai or Sharjah City?) and whether you guys think it is worth it!
Diver NK Question
DiverNK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Worried! Reply with quote

There have been 50 views of my request and no replies....now I am worried! Sad
Diver
dogzB

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

I thought I'd replied but I probably didn't post it right - or it didn't get put on the forum. Most of the Sharjah employees get posted in fairly new apartments on the Corniche with nice views over the lagoon - or there are a variety of villas usually nearer to university city where the colleges are based. University city is beautiful. People with families requiring schooling sometimes get to live in Dubai since there is a greater choice of schools there. If you are in the HCT already or resident in the UAE go and have a look at what is on offer or contact the HR departments there. Initial research is always a good idea since the cities in the UAE are all very different to one another in my opinion. Dubai is by far the cleanest and most developed but also the most expensive which is why many people work in Dubai but live in Sharjah - hence the traffic problems which form on most of the Sharjah-Dubai link roads at peak times. As to whether it is worth it -only you can decide Exclamation
The Pig

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiverNK,

Don't bother going to Sharjah HCT unless you want to be spied on, reported on, undermined, used as a scapegoat, made more 'productive' etc...
Accommodation will be on the corniche, however the trip can vary from between 15 and 60 minutes to the college at certain times of the day.
Farid will not give you the full Dubai allowance to live in Dubai, which will mean you coughing up at minimum 10000dhs per annum towards your rent, no matter what your excuse for living in Dubai. A friend who has a child with an extreme medical condition who needed to live in Dubai close to a hospital was still denied the full Dubai rate.
With a bit of luck, people will resign in droves and Sharjah HCT colleges will be shut down.
Klem

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Unhappy College Atmosphere Reply with quote

Dear Diver,

Sorry, but I haven't been monitoring the site lately.

Edited by Mr. Kalgukshi 11-06-04

If you are familiar with HCT then you will realise that it is the all-powerful Director who can make or break a college. EDIT maintains a very extremely autocratic style of management. He has a habit of firing staff who not only are negligent in his eyes, but simply differ in attitude (eg, the engineering supervisor, at SMC for 7 years, told his contract was not being renewed because his "management style differed to EDIT" (not me)). He uses fear as a management tool and is honest in his appreciation that it is the UAE that allows him to do what he admits he couldn't in any other country.
Apart from that, life in the college could be bearable. The only trouble I've found is traffic situation between work and villa/apartment, and Sharjah and Dubai. Horrendous. The apartments on the corniche are very nice, and if lucky you could also end up with an ocean view (eg, Al Manara building). Depending on what time you decide to drive to work I agree with the other posting, it could take time, although 1 hour is probably a bit much in my experience. Anything from 20-40 minutes. You can always circumvent the Sharjah CBD by heading towards Ajman and then hitting the airport road, or if you have a 4WDrive you can head across the sand near the college into the Dubai emirate (and avoid National Paints roundabout). Traffic between Sharjah & Dubai is shocking, and all our trips need to be planned around the less-peak times. You need to head to Dubai for your sanity (and bacon) on a regular basis so this is a consideration. Shopping malls in Sharjah are adequate enough for daily needs however, and everything is just a little bit cheaper in Sharjah.

Don't expect any help from EDIT living in Dubai however. I'm afraid he will make it awfully difficult for you, for no other reason than he can, and is just plain mean spirited.

Hope this helps, and good luck

Cheers

Martin
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Martin,

I do believe that the other threads were pulled because you named names or were too specific in details. (?) If you want to get your point across, it is probably just as easily done without using names.

This thread will likely go now too. So, if you want your advice to actually get to new teachers, you need to be more circumspect in how you write them. Personally I don't like the censorship, but it is more important that we are able to give warnings, even if we may have to not give every detail.

So, you may want to do an edit.

VS
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: