Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rent prices in Romania
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Rent prices in Romania Reply with quote

Anyone have an idea what a typical, small, modest apartment would cost to rent in a city in Romania (probably not Buch). Not something geared towards the ex-pat community and the location within the city isn't particularly important.

Cheers,
Mike
Ajax

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: rent prices Reply with quote

50 USD - one room, one small kitchen, one bathroom, one tiny hall

100 USD - two rooms, one kitchen, 1-2 halls, one bathroom, maybe balcony, one small storage room

Don't forget electricity, hot water and heat is expensive.
CairoMig

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Rent in Bucharest Reply with quote

I rented a really nice apartment in downtown Bucharest for $500. It had 2 huge double bedrooms, dining room, large lounge, very large kitchen, maid's room and toilet, large bathroom, balcony, and 2 hallways.

That's not an expensive expat rent! I remember when I asked an agent to show me flats for around $500 she looked at me like I had asked her for 2000 lei to buy some bread and said "I only deal with rents over $2000" - !!

You can rent a small "garconiere" i.e. pokey studio flat in popular suburbs of Bucharest (Dristor, Militari, Titan) for around $100. Not so glamarous but if you're not earning much well I guess it's OK.

What I thought was always really expensive was gas and water costs. The bigger the flat, the more expensive it gets, so I ended up paying something like 9,000,000 lei in January and February which is just daft. Even dafter considering it took around 50 mins to get hot water from the tap every morning!
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been here for three months now so I can answer my own question - regarding Bucharest at least.

It seems prices have risen dramatically in the last year or so. I had a native speaker call up all the ads for me so there was no chance of getting quoted 'foreigners' rates'.

A studio flat (one bedroom/living room, bathroom, kitchen, possibly a hall and a balcony) costs about 150Euro nowadays. The further out you go, and the less fussy you are about the quality, the cheaper it gets. I saw ads for some at around 100Euro but even the estate agents weren't recommending them (and then you know it's serious!). Mine is 170Euro but it's in a quiet street, and has a good reliable hot water supply, a washing machine, and superb transport connections.

The monthly gas and water cost are not too bad, just 600'000 ROL this month, but bound to skyrocket later in the year. It's a large block however and this does help keep costs down. The prices are all listed on a noticeboard in the lobby - so you know you aren't being stiffed (anymore than the locals anyway...).

I saw some two-room places for rent, these mostly starting around 200EURO for a district where you'd want to live. I thought I'd go with a studio for the first year until I get a better idea of how far my income goes, with perhaps a move to a two-room next year.

Regards,
Mike
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike 2003. What are you doing in RO? How did you get a job there? How is the pay?
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update:

Prices for rentals in Bucharest (April 2007)
Three prices quoted: ultra central/semi-central/outskirts

Studio flat: 400+/300/250
One-bedroom: 500+/350/300
Two-bedroom: 800+/650/450

Other costs (monthly unless stated):

Cable TV: 10 Euro (basic), 20 Euro (with extra channels)
1 Mbps ADSL: 20 Euro
Cable internet (through block network): 10 Euro
Monthly Travelcard (all surface transport): 12 Euro
1 Trip ticket: 0.30 Euro
Bill to block admin: 50 Euro (summer) 100 Euro (winter) (varies a lot from block to block and depends on size of flat and number of people)
Electricity: 15-20 Euro (again, varies a lot)

Taxi across town (~5km): 3 Euro
Meal for 2 with drinks in restaurant (mid-class): 30 Euro
Cinema ticket: 2-4 Euro
Beer in bar: 1-2 Euro (eg. Bergenbeer) 2-3 Euro (eg. Stella)
Cigarettes: 1.50 Euro
Bottle of wine: 1.50 Euro (cheap) 6 Euro (expensive)
Pizza: 3-5 Euro

Supermarket prices generally quite high. Higher than in some neighbouring countries. Local market sometimes good for cheaper fruit and veg in season.

Bearing all this in mind you would probably need about 600 Euro per month now to pay the rent, bills, cable, net, phone, and the food basics assuming you live in a modest studio flat/one-bed place out of town a little.

Mike
TravellingT

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Can one expect to save any money? Reply with quote

Mike_2003 I assume that you are still in Romania now? if yes, coudl you possibly tell me if it's possible to save any money at all while teaching there...Thanks.
Mike_2007

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello TravellingT,

Yes, it is possible to save money here but probably not if you work for a language school. Working for the BC, for an international school, or working on a self-employed basis would probably earn you a decent lifestyle and allow you to put something away each month.
dmb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last summer I went on holiday to Romania. Usually I stayed in hotels and B and Bs. However in Brasov I stayed in an apt. for 5 days. It wasn't luxurious but only cost 50 euros.... btw Brasov is a lovely chilled out place
Bebsi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brasov rocks!!
Bebsi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Bucharest or the south of Romania generally, I would definitely recommend AC in your apartment.

If buying it yourself, you should go for a Class-A energy rating. The extra few euro that you spend on it, you will easily make back in a few short months.

I have lightning-fast 100 Mbps from Romtelecom, it costs me only 22 euro a month.

Any bottle of wine you get for less than 2 euro, will be barely drinkable at best. I'd say, on average budget about 3-4 euro for a reasonably decent bottle.

As Mike_2003 says, going to the market is better than the supermarket. It is considerably cheaper and there is a great choice generally, of good fresh wholesome (mainly organic) ingredients.
KendraBP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me about the rent prices in Cluj-Napoca?

If provided accommodations is 350Euro/month a good wage?

Thanks!
Bebsi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
KendraBP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that is so helpful.
Bebsi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: