Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is the Sharjah HCT thread locked?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inquisitive

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Why is the Sharjah HCT thread locked? Reply with quote

I'm probably just technically challenged, but I can't seem to join the discussion about Sharjah HCT. I thought the whole point of this forum was that people posted their own opinions and everyone who read them knew exactly what they were - personal opinions, nothing more and nothing less. Why do some postings need to be edited? And why do some threads disappear altogether? I thought Klem's recent posting about the Director was the most interesting thing I've read in a long time. If only I'd printed a copy!
tefllifer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replying to VS comments on the locked thread - great that Mr. K, the editor, is editing out names - but why only in that thread? The name of some poor unfortunate at MLI was recently left on the site till people shamed the author into editing. Is the Sharjah thread being edited because a manager is involved? No, that can't be the case as think the name of the new MLI manager appeared - and certainly think the names of management people at Abu Dhabi Uni appeared in messages - this editing should be uniform and applied to all messages irregardless of institution and the 'rank' of the person named.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a number of threads that had to be deleted because of details being too specific and names being given out. Complaints were made to the administration of this board and they chose to delete. It is their board and they get to make the rules.

We all want information both good and bad to reach job searchers, but it seems to me that we can get the bad news out without turning it into personal attacks. (against supervisors or each other here on the board) I am hoping that the posters with legitimate complaints will attempt to make their criticisms more professional.

We have all had bosses that we couldn't work with and often they had other employees that liked them. If two or three teachers come on here and say that they find a particular director or supervisor to be unfair or not good at their job - and say that they do not recommend that anyone ever take a job there, the message is out.

Personally if I have anything really negative to say about a possible employer - I allude to it on the board and give the gory details in a PM to the applicant. That saves the thread.

VS
Klem

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Is the truth too personal? Reply with quote

Dear all,

My apologies for naming the Director of Sharjah Colleges in my original 'BEWARE" posting. It appears that it has offended someone to the point that the whole thread was pulled.

As a community service however, I will continue with my opinion and experience but not name the Director, who happens to be a psycopathic autocrat, and a very mean and nasty piece of work.

BEWARE everyone then, of the untrustworthy and uncaring Director of Sharjah Colleges.

Regards

Klem
Justice_Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I hear from people who work for the HCT in Al Ain and Abu Dhabi, is that the HCT can be a great place or your worst nightmare. It depends on the director.

For those complaining about Sharjah - there is always something worse. Its called ADU! I am sorry, but ADU wins hands down as the most miserable place in the Gulf for teachers to work and students to learn.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am sorry, but ADU wins hands down as the most miserable place in the Gulf for teachers to work and students to learn.

Maybe true now, but a few years ago I taught in an absolutely vile place in Kuwait, that would take a lot of beating. Mind you, Kuwati holidays were good.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone spends a number of years in the Middle East without at least one nightmare employer. Mine too was in Kuwait. The year before I arrived about 50% of the teachers were fired or resigned - leaving 5. Of those 5, one resigned, one absconded and one was in jail by mid-year break (and was still there last I heard - years on). At the end of the academic year, one of the carryovers resigned and of 5 or 6 new teachers in Sept, 3 departed - one of them me - but at least I resigned by fax. The next year there were more resignations, abscondings and a couple of firings. FINALLY, they fired the director or rather 'promoted' to a another department as a non-supervisor.

These jobs are not fun at the time, but are certainly good for regaling people at parties years on. Laughing Good for at least a chapter or two in our memoirs.

(and SJ is right, the holidays were great and I have to say that my students were great too)

VS
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: