Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Petroleum Institute in Abu Dhabi???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abiollo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: The Petroleum Institute in Abu Dhabi??? Reply with quote

Hi to you all. This is my first time posting a message. I've been checking this forum regularly because my husband and I are thinking about moving to U.A.E. next fall. My husband is an English teacher with MA. Currently we are in South Korea and my husband's salary is a little bit lower than what HCT offers to new teachers with MA. But we have a son who needs to go to school next year. We want him to get into a western style school. I've been doing some research for our next move. One of our friends sent us a job ad from the Petroleum Institute. I couldn't find any comment on this place. If you have any information on this, please share it with us. Thanks.

Aesuk
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abiollo,

PI has one of the best pay packages in the country and a good reputation as an employer. I know many who have applied, but few have received offers from them. It is very competitive.

I would say to go ahead and apply. If you receive an offer, come on back and ask about the details. And, if you are serious about a UAE job, I suggest that you also apply to some of the other places. (like HCT, ZU, UAEU, and AUS)

VS
abiollo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Is there any church in UAE? Reply with quote

Thnak you, veiledsentiments for your reply. Yes, we will apply for PI this weekend. We are planning for applying other schools as you mentioned. HCT, AUS, and ZU. I didn't think about UAEU before. Is it considered as a good school too? Is there any christian churches there? Right now we live in a very remote area in South Korea. There is no English service available around here and we go to Seoul almost every Sunday. It takes us about 2 hours on the highway to get to the church. On Korean highway, the speed limit is 100km/hr but 90% of people speed at least 20km/hr above the limit depending on traffic though. There are Cameras on the highway but before you reach the camera you will see at least two warning signs for the camera. Most of people slow down for camera but some still don't. It's a bit pain but we like the church very much. It's worth driving. Have a wonderful day!

abiollo
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abiollo,

Yes, there are churches in the Emirates. They generally allow people to freely worship as long as they do not get involved in any missionary activities. The larger cities (Dubai and Abu Dhabi, for sure and probably also Al-Ain) have large active Christian congregations - both Catholic and Protestant.

UAEU is considered one of the better employers in the Emirates, though some do not like living in Al-Ain because it is rather quiet and has no international airport. It is about a 1.5 hour drive from either Abu Dhabi or Dubai.

Good Luck with your applications.

VS
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al -Ain has a few churches. There's at least one English Protestant service, and I've heard rumours of others. There's also an active Catholic community with masses in several different languages.

Al-Ain is quiet but not that quiet. People who are accustomed to going clubbing every weekend wouldn't like it, but other than that it's a good balance, I've found.
Gordon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is there to do in Al Ain for families? Lots of pools, an international school?
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are three pools I know of, plus two ice rinks. There's also an active hockey league, for children and adults. I'm sure there are other sports teams as well. Lots of outdoorsy opportunities - the Natural History Group arranges hikes and camping trips quite often and these are appropriate for a variety of ages. Lots of parents bring their kids. There's an amusement park just outside the city as well. And plus, since there are so many families here, you can arrange things with them on a personal basis as you and the children make friends.

As for schools, there are quite a few. I don't have kids myself, but many of my colleagues do and no one's been forced into homeschooling. Wink
Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ka-Ching. Ice rinks? Seems odd, is it because it is the most ostentatious thing you could put in the middle of a desert?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon

As I recall, most everywhere I have taught there was an ice rink. I think they are just fascinated by the idea of it. Smile What could be more fun after a few months straight of days with temps hovering in the low 40's!!

Having grown up in a part of the world where you can ice skate outside for months on end, I never felt the need to visit one of them. Shocked

Just one of the many things that expats are often surprised to see in the Gulf.

VS
Tuttifruitti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait until next year and you'll be able to use the ski slope in Dubai!! Very Happy
Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuttifruitti wrote:
Wait until next year and you'll be able to use the ski slope in Dubai!! Very Happy

Indoor skiing or is it not on snow?
Tuttifruitti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the advertising billboards it's snow, so I'd say it will be indoors. It will be much more popular if it is - the novelty of the snow etc... Cool
abiollo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skiing in Dubai?! It sounds interesting. Surprised Smile
Do they have fitness center for women too? Or some sort of dance classes for women to take ? Hiphop or Jazz ? Am I pushing too much? Please bear my innocence.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abiollo,

I know there are women's sports clubs and I suspect that you will be able to find most every kind of lesson now and again - just not everything all the time. Various teachers will offer lessons on an irregular schedule.

For instance, when I was in Abu Dhabi one of the favorite things to do during Ramadhan, when we all got off work early, was to take belly dancing lessons!! We also used to have country western style dance lessons regularly at one of the hotels on the weekends - line dancing and such.

You just never know what you will find. Shocked Cool

VS
Tuttifruitti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Dubai... anything is possible!

In Abu Dhabi and Dubai there are health clubs, fitness centres and beach clubs. Some are for ladies only, but most are mixed. Some clubs have 'ladies only' hours also. Most give company discount, and if your husband gets a job with the Petroleum Institute, you'll definitely get discounts. It belongs to one of the most respected companies in Abu Dhabi.
Many clubs offer dance classes in addition to fitness classes. Some of the hotels arrange classes too (salsa, ballroom dancing, bellydancing etc). Dubai has a couple of dance schools, but there aren't any in Abu Dhabi yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: