Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Assistantships in France

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Teaching Assistantships in France Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a Canadian thinking of trying to teach in France in a couple of years. I was wondering if anyone had any information on the assistantship program (I think it's a similar program for both Canadians and Americans). I have looked at the official site, but still have some questions, so I was wondering if any current or former participants could tell me:

Is it possible to get into the program even if you don't have a reference who can vouch for your French ability? My French isn't bad, but all the French classes I've taken have been summer courses where you don't really have a chance to get to know your prof (plus they were a long time ago, in other parts of the country)

How competitive are these types of programs? I have a TESL certificate and some teaching experience. Plus, by the time I go over I hopefully will have taught in Japan for a bit. However, I know a lot of people who participate in these programs have more extensive training, like B.Ed degrees. Would my qualifications be good enough for this program?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any info or advice! I really appreciate it.
Luder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your qualifications should be more than sufficient. Since assistants are supposed to be under 30--I think--they can't really expect you to have all that much experience, can they? And since they idea is to speak to your students in English, a lack of French isn't a problem either.

I recently saw an assistantship position in Rennes advertised on the ANPE website. I think the school was even asking specifically for someone of "langue maternelle am�ricaine." Canadians, being North Americans, would certainly meet this requirement, a surprisingly frequent one, but not, I am very, very sorry to say, speakers of the Queen's English.
Varvian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in the program myself and I remember reading somewhere on the website that said if you can't get your French teacher to do the paperwork then find any local French teacher and do an interview with you. After an hour of speaking to you that teacher would be able to do a basic assesment of your skills.

Also I met someone who did the program and she said they don't require you to be fluent in French. The government just wants to make sure you know enough so that you can get by. She also said that the teachers at the school you teach are excited to have a native speaker to practice their English with. You also become friends with the other TA's so in reality you don't have to speak in a ton of French unless you choose to.
amandajoy99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked as an English language assistant in a Lycee in southwestern France last year. There are over a thousand positions in elementary, middle, and high schools in France, so if you are basically qualified you are likely to get one. You are expected to have a basic level of French - the application itself is in French. But the suggestion of having a teacher meet with you and evaluate your level of French seems fine. With your teaching experience I would expect you to get a position.
A couple things I feel I should tell you about my experience. First, assistantships are only twelve hours a week, and you get paid well for those twelve hours. But you'll find that it's actually a little boring, and you may well be in a small town with not much else to do. Once you get your assignment, start looking into Universities in the area or other productive ways to spend your time. With so much free time, unlike people who work long hours at big language schools, you have a good opportunity to really immerse yourself into French culture!
One final thing - even if you don't work at a Lycee many of them house local assistants for free, so be sure to look into that if you get there.
Good luck!
the_p0et

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: TA in France? Reply with quote

My wife and I are 23 year old Canadians and are also looking into the TA jobs in France. Are there Teaching Assistant jobs in other Western European countries for non-EUs?

You mentioned that there are thousands of jobs for teacher assistans in France. Do you (or anyone) have any websites I can look into for more information. I can't find more then 1 or two on Google.

My wife and I will be looking to work in the same city/town. We're currently Teaching English in Taiwan. We both have our College Diplomas and TESL Certifications.

Are there any English version copies of the application? I only have a basic knowledge of French but am learning.

Thanks!
Dan [email protected]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: