Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMIDEAST

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urban_Kitten

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: AMIDEAST Reply with quote

Hi all:
Has anyone worked for Amideast in Qatar?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.Very Happy
Thanks!
princessofquitealot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is an AMIDEAST in Qatar -- see their website: www.amideast.org -- but if they're opening one, I would apply. I worked for AMIDEAST in Yemen and found it to be a great organization.
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: The Redneck Enforcer Squad Reply with quote

Yes....I worked for them and issued an earlier statement describing work conditions etc which was removed by the unseen censors here.
I'll try again!

They advertised for exam markers last year...the pay..75qr an hour for reading substandard english compositions in the surroundings of the 5 star Intercontinental Hotel seemed to good to resist.
Easy money.....fairly easy work.....all food and drink supplied and I would be working alongside several friends and colleagues. Plus doesn't look too bad on the CV or the Bank Statements!!!
Training was all good humoured and fairly relaxed as was the first night or two...We were doing 4 hr shifts from 4-8pm daily with promises of more work at the weekend!
Then someone with a Texan/southern drawl and a penchant for no nonsense hard work and zero tolerance for talking observed our work unit of 40 or so Teachers marking and talking away(it is possible to do more than both...).
They obviously took both their role at Amideast and life far too seriously....I extend my sympathy to them for having neither the capacity for common sense or man management...or a life!!!
The next night and from then on was a strict no talking policy......any murmurs or mumblings were jumped upon and crushed by the resident Amideast rep....
Bear in mind this is a room dominated by very experienced 35+ yr olds.....hardly a load of Sixth form students supposedly studying in a classroom.!!
The atmosphere from then on became repressive and uncomfortable.....I've been in no talking employment zones before in Call centres and Data Input offices but this was purely ridiculous!

Grown up adults who teach are capable of both reading a barely elementary level essay and talking at the same time.

Maybe they havent yet mastered both activities in the States......keep on trying you Bushmongers because you made me and others feel like we were in a play about Guantanomo Bay!

Also they lied about the rate of essays we were supposed to be marking...uppin gthe rate to unacceptable levels...if they had wanted the job done properly...and the quality of food supplied went right down....
We had the strange suspicion of being offloaded with yesterdays stale sarnies!
Discussion and examination of said sandwiches proved our suspicions to be well founded.
Shame on you Amideast......may you hang your collective heads in shame!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: