Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the russians

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr.J

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: the russians Reply with quote

Could anyone give me a 15 word summary of the russian national character?

Yeah, I know about stereotypes etc etc, just do it.

Thanks!
rogan

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by rogan on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: *********** Reply with quote

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:10 am; edited 2 times in total
maruss

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: The Russians Reply with quote

I'd agree with all the things written so far about the Russians and add a few.................how about maddening,annoying,manipulative,devious and often outright liars with no business acumen-but also completely unforgettable and quite unique,especially the girls with their sweetness and femininity!

M.
Kira

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say, I'm a bit thrown off by the word 'tolerant' to describe Russians. If you mean tolerant of no hot water, oligarch after oligarch, overcrowded transport, and extreme environmental degradation, then yes. They live through all these things in style, and in my opinon, their tolerance of it is some of what forces them to have to live through it.

If you mean tolerant in the sense of 'tolerant of personal differences and other people', I would wholeheartedly disagree. Profiling based on race, sex, and age is rampant. I could give you hundreds of examples for that, but in the end, Russians generally are pretty proud of their race, and they look down on others. (not that that's unique)

Kira
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:39 am    Post subject: *********** Reply with quote

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Buck Turgidson

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, intolerant attitudes transcend class status. Like you Kent, most of my students were educated professionals and I noticed racist attitudes. In particular, Russians have contempt for Gypsies. And this opinion was held by my professional students.

buck
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 4:54 am    Post subject: ********** Reply with quote

Last edited by Kent F. Kruhoeffer on Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Buck Turgidson

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Russians are intolerant." Well this sounds extreme. Confused I did meet some Russians who were tolerant. We should say "Russians tend to be intolerant." Wink

Buck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: