Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Montreal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nighthawk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Montreal Reply with quote

I have a B.A., no TESL Certificate, and little teaching experience, but I'm starting to volunteer teaching English. I was wondering if there would be any TESL positions in Montreal. Could anyone give me some information about language schools there? Also, I'm wanting information on how Americans get work visas for Canada. What does that entail? Is it expensive, etc.? Any useful responses are appreciated. Thank you.
Lynden

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For information on work visas go to the government of Canada homepage. It has a couple of links that are very informative. I don't really know a whole lot about Quebec language politics but I would guess that finding a job teaching English would be very difficult. A lot of work is put into keeping English out, not letting more of it into the province. If you really want to work in Quebec, you might consider taking a language course yourself and heading up north into the province where workers may be in higher demand.
Since you had no reply's to your message I thought I'd send this along. It's by no means the final answer, just based on my observations. Feel free to e-mail me at <[email protected]>.
nighthawk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but I would guess that finding a job teaching English would be very difficult. A lot of work is put into keeping English out, not letting more of it into the province.

That's a good point. I had that feeling too, but I posted to see if it was right. I'll type "government of Canada homepage" into a few search engines to see what I can find out about visas. Thanks for the reply.
Celeste

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this:

www.canada.gc.ca
That Lisa Girl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Montreal Reply with quote

A friend of mine suggested ILSC (International Language Schools of Canada) as a good place to teach in Montreal.
Here is the website:
http://www.ilsc.ca/montreal.asp

Another great website to check out:

http://www.thescec.com/abra/
--great directory of ESL schools in canada.

best of luck!
That Lisa Girl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: More advice on Montreal Reply with quote

I should add that the school I mentioned, ILSC, would probably require a TESL certificate. I used to live in Montreal myself, although I never actually taught there. I have many friends who have. They tell me that if you want to get a job at a school that doesn't require a certificate, these are the places where you should apply in person. Bring a resume with a cover letter, look professional, and if you're a native speaker of English with a degree, they'll probably hire you. Of course, that also depends on the time of year you're applying; anywhere from late April to mid-June is a good time to look, since there are many foreign students who arrive during these months.

Most of these schools do not have websites, you have to look in the Montreal phone books to find them. A lot of ESL teaching in Montreal involves going to businesses and teaching English to professionals. They won't pay you much, but then again, Montreal rents are probably some of the cheapest in Canada.

These places usually don't require that you have a certificate either...although you might want to consider getting one, if you want to find a more reliable job. If I were back in Montreal today, I'd start offering private and group lessons. I'd advertise in the weekly French newspapers, and at French-speaking universities like UQAM and Universite de Montreal, where students really need to improve their English.

If you have any questions on how to find apartments in Montreal or good neighbourhoods to live in, I would be happy to offer you more advice. Smile
sprightly

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: yellow pages Reply with quote

i've been looking around too; one place to try is the yellow pages online.
choose a city, search for "language schools" and off you go. also includes websites and emails for some places.
i tried the abra site, and it was quite useful.
good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: