Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heading to Chile very soon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toffer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Heading to Chile very soon Reply with quote

Hey,
I'm planning to head to Chile in a few weeks and want to teach. I have my BA in English and a CELTA. What are my chances of landing something? From what I've read, I feel like I want to live in Valparaiso. Has anyone been there, and if so what did they think. Also, my Spanish is basic at best (though I can speak Italian) and I'm wondering if this will hinder my ability to get a job. Also any general tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you in advance, Kristoff
eileen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Santiago, not Valpo, but I know it is possible to find work there, as Weona (posts here sometimes) has done it. Your qualifications will find you a job if there is a need, but jobs go first to people with teaching experience, and/or a Master�s in TESOL or something similar.

The problem you�re going to come up on is hours. Teaching really slows down in December, and in Jan and Feb most people are on vacation, so there�s not a lot of teaching. In March you�ll be busier than you want to be, but people say it�s a little dead in the summer. However, you can always teach independently, or so they say.

Valparaiso is lovely in the hills, very picturesque and all that. Most students live between there and another town because of the housing prices, but the bus takes you everywhere quickly. Lots of Valparaiso, like any other city, is poblaciones and lower-income communities. The porte�os are pretty relaxed and interesting, and very proud of their city.

I don�t think your Spanish will be a problem for finding a job, but it might make finding housing more challenging.

good luck!
Dennis Parish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all companies discontinue or greatly cut down on their English programs in summer so it�s REALLY tough to get work here. My advice is to wait until March. I have met a lot of new teachers here lately, doing the rounds, and they are all frustrated. I help them when I can with some names and contacts but none of them will survive and what they�ll make in summer - almost no one does. Not to be discouraging but that�s how it is in Chile - no one much interested in learning in summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: