Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

good month to find a job June-October

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ackerley81

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: good month to find a job June-October Reply with quote

can anyone here recommend a month between june and october to start looking for teaching jobs? i have gotten SO many mixed messages on that one. some say to start looking in august as that is when the winter break is over, others say june and that july-october are difficult months job-wise, still others have told me that the whole year is the same and you can always find work, and some say if youre not coming in march, good luck. anyone? i'm at a loss.

Sarah
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: in our experience Reply with quote

From my experience placing teachers into Buenos Aires positions, being there in late-Feb for March starts is advised. You may find something off season, but March is the big start for fall semesters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ackerley81

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I cannot come in March. My choices are limited to arriving anywhere between June and October. Of these months, does anyone have a recommendation?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:07 am    Post subject: perhaps... Reply with quote

What about another country, such as Mexico or Costa Rica? Even Colombia would be a bit better for timing...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sciphoto

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically you are saying that it would be stupid to arrive in August? I am teaching in Prague and thinking of heading to Argie next year, is it a big risk to move in August or September? are there any classes going on in the summer there? gracias
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: odds reduced Reply with quote

It's certainly not a stupid move to arrive in August...with persistence and planning, you'll find some teaching work. It's just far more likely to find a position with a March start, corresponding with the start of the academic year.
sciphoto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks for the advice, so what you are saying is if you have a bit of a sense for an adventure and are willing to take the risk it is possibel to arrive in August and still find some hours? Also do schools operate during the summer months or do doors close until the next academic year begins? gracias, ben
Quidamm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm really curious about the timing thing as well. I am planning to take the TEFL course down there from mid-June to mid-July then looking for work. So I'll have a month to get to know the place and get contacts and all that.

My main question is that besides late February, what's the SECOND best time to look for jobs? I really do like the idea of just winging it but I don't want to totally #@%!# myself. Keep me posted..
livadary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I came to Santiago at the end of October to teach English, which was probably the worst timing I could possibly have had, and I still found a job within three weeks with plenty of hours. I would assume the same is basically true of Buenos Aires--it will be harder to find a teaching position the closer to summer you get, but not impossible. Also, individual classes are a great option--just make some flyers and you�ll be able to charge much more than you would get at an institute.

My advice would be to go closer to June than October, and look into the available institutes before you head off. Business English institutes are a good bet because pay tends to be higher and classes aren�t on the semester system, so you have a better chance at getting hired year-round.

Hope that helps!
Emily
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: