Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jakarta Weekends
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep!
I agree. A lot more fun. Let's face it, are there any schools out there that aren't badly managed? Nope? Then no need to go on and on and on about it.
Flying lessons sound like the way forward to me. If we were all up in our own little planes, floating around the sky, isolated from reality, skydiving inot our 30juta per month international schools, hanging with a super rich girlfriend, being driven around in her Merc, living in one of her dad's huge houses with swimming pools in Pondok Indah or Menteng, with sharp shooters on the roof, ready to take out anyone who comes by on a motorcycle with loudspeakers blaring out, "Roti Roti" so we aren't woken from our slumbers, then, maybe then, we wouldn't feel the need to complain about EVERYTHING!!! I know, I'm an idealist. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
ContemporaryDog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Llama wrote:

Stadium (to respond to Winmar) is a packed nightclub spread over four floors, though each floor seems to play the same kind of tribal/techno stuff. At the weekends it's open 24 hours and the pace doesn't let up. People have been known to arrive on Friday night and stagger out on Monday morning. Such feats of endurance are usually due to ingesting something a little stronger than coffee. Stadium is the only place where I've been offered class A drugs by the staff - I mean every member of staff.

While I myself can't lay claim to such 60-hour marathons, I still have a good time, even if I do regret in the morning... or afternoon... Embarassed

Sounds great, there's nothing like that in Wuhan. Most clubs go on til about 5, and the only chemical substance which is widely available, ketamine, doesn't really help people stay up for 6 weeks...
Chester

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: stadium Reply with quote

run by the police.
drugs sold are confiscated from dealers who dont pay the cops bribe money. lots of theft. if you get in a fight the security will watch as you get beat up.
i prefer to hang out at my rich girlfriends fathers place in pondok indah and watch the ultra-lites get blasted out of the sky by the russian jet fighters.
"look out honey 'cause I'm using technology"
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also at Stadium, the cops might bust your ass and if you've been naughty, you'll have to pays 10 mil to get freed. OK, it doesn't happen that often there, but I do know people who it has happened to.
I too prefer the aviation alternative. My rich girlfriend's dad's house in Menteng or Pondok Indah will have a private airstrip for the Messershmit 109 that he'll buy me, so I too can engage the ultra-lite menace over our great city.

"I'm a street walking cheetah with a heartful of napalm"

Chester, seems we've got stuck on the same old song. Shocked Shocked
Chester

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: that's life Reply with quote

my last song quote
I said "I'm so happy I could die"
she said "drop dead" then left with another guy.
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm,
Eclectic taste in musak.

OK here's one from me:

When people listen to you don't you know it means a lot
Cos you've got to fight so hard for everything you've got
Can't rest on your laurels now not when you've got none
You'll find yourself in a gutter right back where you came from
Winmar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few decent Indonesian metal bands around, for those that way inclinded. Edane are a pretty good rock band too. I'm sick to death of cover bands there though, doing the usual boring tripe.
guruengerish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: why not the beaches? Reply with quote

Strange how no-one has mentioned the beaches. A shared car or even a bus trip gets you from Jakarta to the west coast in three hours, and there's some nice beaches, cold beer, good local restaurants.

You could sit on the beach all day, looking at the remains of Krakatua, and wonder when the next tsunami will hit!

Long weekends saw many of us down at Batu Keras, (different direction) trying the surf coming from five different directions, and the sea food was great. It was something to look forward to after a week or more in Jakarta or Bandung. A great place to avoid during Lebaran though!!

I almost bought a block of land there, until the owner proudly told me that about five other English teachers had bought the adjacent blocks. Laughing
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose nobody mentioned the beaches because the original poster's question was - " What do you guys do in Jakarta at the weekend?"
guruengerish

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: beaches at Jakarta Reply with quote

OK,OK. But to be fair - there's always Ancol!!

Now that's in the city and is a beach too. As long as you're prepared to put up with the crowds and the litter. The sort of thing you expect with a population the same as Australia.
Winmar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went down to Pelabuhan Ratu, where people from Jakarta apparently go, a couple of times. Was introduced to a few surfers my mate knew; they all seemed to be arrogant wankers, and found it difficult to stoop to the level of smiling or being friendly to the likes of me. Are (foreign) surfers in Indo usually like that?
guruengerish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: foreign surfers Reply with quote

I never came across this type of thing. Usually the only bules I bumped into were other poor b....y teachers like myself.
Chester

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Beaches Reply with quote

I like Carita (Charita). 3 hours west. its real nice. peaceful and good swimming. take a day trip to Krakatao.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: