Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Al Dhafra Private School - Al Ain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweetlady

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Al Dhafra Private School - Al Ain Reply with quote

Has anyone heard or worked for this school? Their website looks really good and I have spoken with someone at the school. They have offered me to teach ages 6-7 (which I like), working hours from 8:00a.m. until 2:00 p.m. and a salary of 5500 Dirhams. Shared acommodations will be covered plus the usual pre-paid flight.

Any comments about the school or the above offer would be appreciated.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetlady,

The majority of teachers that go to the Middle East are older, have MAs and teach at tertiary level. With that thought in mind, that salary is 50% of what I was paid over 10 years ago, and I was provided with single housing and a furniture allowance too.

You haven't suggested your age, education, or experience, but if you are in your 20's and single, I would NOT recommend that you go to a place like Al-Ain. It is a nice little city, but there is very little to do for young singles. This is a good place for married people with children. Basically, safe, clean, quiet and boring boring boring...

Hopefully someone who may have sent their children to this school will come on here. Personally I am very suspicious of most of the small private K-12 schools. They are notorious for being bad employment choices. I would not consider teaching there unless you could communicate personally with current or past expat teachers.

VS
spicegirl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the children who attend Al Dhafra school are non-native speakers of English, mostly of various Arab nationalities. The discipline problems are what you'd expect. I've known some teachers there over the years. Most of them have been spouses of teachers at UAEU or HCT, of various nationalities, often also non-native English speakers, some Europeans and some other nationalities. From what I've heard in the past, some teachers don't stay there very long, for various reasons. Most native, qualified teachers in Al Ain prefer to work at Al Ain English Speaking School, Sanawbar School or Choueifat.

Liwa School in Al Ain seems to enjoy a better reputation with teaching spouses than Al Dhafra. I think the salary at Liwa is similar to Al Dhafra, though perhaps a little lower. Think carefully before going to Al Dhafra. I've never heard anything really bad, though as VS says, you probably won't have a ready-made circle of friends who are of a similar background to yourself.

Why not try to apply to Al Ain English Speaking School? There are quite a lot of singles there (as well as spouses, of course). The AAESS teachers seem to have quite a good social life, the Head Teachers are all British, and the staff are mostly British, South African, American, etc. You're more likely to be able to relate to your colleagues from a similar professional background.

Good luck!
Truth Hurts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Sweetlady,
You haven't suggested your age, education, or experience, but if you are in your 20's and single, I would NOT recommend that you go to a place like Al-Ain.
Sweetlady

Al Ain is not what it used to be 10 years ago. It's actually a very pretty place to live these days. The young, the old and even the odd "veiled spinster" have all been known to appreciate Al Ain Laughing . Dhafra school is in the center of the city very near the UAE's most beautiful oasis. If you crave for the concrete jungles of Dubai and Abu Dhabi, they are only an hour and a half drive away. People are much friendlier in Al Ain and easier to get to know.

TH
Sweetlady

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I am a single woman in my mid 40's. I have taught ESL in S. Korea so nothing can be as bad as that. I want to experience some of the Middle East in relative safety and from what I have heard UAE is O.K.

I will arrive in AlAin around the middle of December. I will keep watching and reading this board and I am sure I will have either more questions or other comments.

Thanks again
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sweetlady,

Spicegirl sounds like she knows the better schools. If I were you, I would try to find a place that provides private housing. Shared housing is fine for the twenty somethings, but I certainly wouldn't consider it - negotiate!! December will be a perfect time for visiting as the weather is great. If you are looking for a quiet life, Al-Ain can provide it. Smile Another country to consider would be Oman.

You are certainly right that the UAE is better than most of the positions in Korea. But, the offer of 5500 is very low and the UAE is an expensive country. (for instance, a car is a necessity - especially in Al-Ain)

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: