Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best and Worst of Taiwan
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will somebody lock this forum, please?
Sunpower

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okami:

Recenlty, you posted, 'I hate Canadians.'

Then you respond to Egas in this manner:
Quote:
Egas, that is blatantly foul, and the start of a flame, please have the decent sense and courtesy to remove it on your own....keep the board clean.
Today, you try to mitigate your offensive 'I hate Canadians' post by saying that it was only just a 'poor choice words that day.'

Okami, I realize you've got some decent info on Taiwan that you share with people but, with all due respect, you're not thinking clearly on this one.

Let the moderators police the board.

Anyways, that was my point.
TheyCallMeTrinity

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: You werent laughing at me, but at the taiwanese when you... Reply with quote

wrote me this:

You sure came out swinging in those last couple of posts on the "How to Combat Circular Logic" thread posted by Okami.

Ha, aha, haa!!

You must've been reading my mind!
Nice response. Ha, aha, haa!!

Yrs.
Fred Shannon
Taipei

Perhaps your harassment of me on this forum comes from the fact I never responded to this private message?

So, I ask you: angry much?

Trinity

Sunpower wrote:
By the way, I've been watching this poster over the last few days and
TheyCallmeMiseryseems to be a pretty accurate handle.

I actually laughed out loud when I read that. Very Happy
Jojo

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunpower: you said you agreed with Okami and her thoughts about Canadians in your previous post.

So my question was to you and Okami , What is your beef with Canadians? I am curious as to what experiences you have had that you both say you don't like Canadians. Pm me which will stop this flame war that I didn't intend to start in the beginning.
TaoyuanSteve

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Egas. Trinity does need a little feedback by way of his own methods. He has insulted more than a few users, and for far too long. Okami, furthermore, doesn't win many credibility points when he advocates staying above the fray, while including his own hate messages for overseas Canadians (most of whom he has never met).
TheyCallMeTrinity

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Okami"]

Sunpower: I'm not taking sides and yes I did write that "I hate canadians". poor choice of words that day. Now what was your point again? You often never mention it or make any attempt. I'm trying to stop a flame war and keep the board on topic of what we think is good or bad in Taiwan. Sometimes mods need to be alerted to "problems."

Good points. he never does seem to have a point. he simply makes cracks that don't contribute to the thread at all. Kinda like Taoyuan Steve (an example of my Canadian expat observations, btw).

TheyCallMeTrinity: I don't think Taiwan is completely clueless, though I do have my days. Like when the cops stop motorcyclists and let people speed past them in souped up Hondas. See above quote about when you know you fit in. The locals are quite rude to each other, It's hard to describe it, like a total failure to realize that there are other people and your actions will affect them. What type of Anime? I have most of Neon Genesis Evangelion and I also have Jin Roh. I'm a big manga fan. I'm taking Japanese lessons with a Japanese tutor.

I've found that "fitting in" here is not my cup of tea. The island deserves civility. It has none. I've been pacng away most of my stuff for shipping home. I still have some of the Devilman, Mazinger Z, and UFO Go Nagai stuff, as well as the entire FIST OF THE NORTH STAR series (100+ episodes) and have been catching up on the SPACE SCIENCE NIJA GATCHAMAN series I haven't seen in over twenty years. I'm more into the older stuff. I remember you posted on some forum you enjoy Anime, so that's what triggered the suggestion.

I studeid Japanese for a while. I'm on myway there soon enough. Beter country (not without its problems - but ones I can stomach far more than those plaguing this island) and a better people and society in general.

I understand about Chinese. No matter how simple it is or how many time syou have said it correctly some people here will not understand. My manager at my buxiban is like that, she's getting better, but she can't seem to even think about me speaking Chinese and her comprehending it. Do you read Chinese? That would seem quite useful in Taiwan.

I can read enough to get by. I can't write it well, but it's got me out of many tricky situations and saved me many, may headaches. Kanji class paid off!

I've met some very nice canadians and some real dingbats(americans too). I don't appreciate being told how things are by someone in the country less than 6 months, who doesn't even have a clue how to speak the language or being told that people shouldn't be aliud to teach unless they have a TOEFL certificate, but a philosophy degree is ok as long as you have a TOEFL certificate. Useful, yes; will you get higher pay for it, not likely.

I refer to this as the Taoyuan Steve phenomena.

I share your opinions of SA's. Probably the nicest bunch in the whole lot. Good for a brie or a beer(or whisky or tequila or scotch).

Bar none!

I find a lot of waishengren to be very arrogant, but get along well with the benshengren and aborigines.

Interesting. Our expereinces differ.

I've mentioned the 36 Strategies in previous posts, but I was looking for books on Gov't specific ideas/policies. You don't like the naturalized foreigners? Most long termers are here because of their wives. Anyone who knows Taiwanese women, knows they can't stand to be away from their mothers. You're more independent minded ones tend to flee the island at first opportunity, with good reason since they can't change anything here. It was interesting to find out how many NGO's are gov't supported, around solely for the purpose of face or just fronts for money laundering(favored use by members of the Legislative Yuan).

The few, honest-to-goodness naturalized foreigners I've met here (If I don't count "spousal visa" folks, if I did, then I've met about twenty folks over the years that fit this bill) - scare me. Not all, butthose fro mdeveloped, democratic, civilized societies. Ironically - the three Japanese nationals who became citizens here told me they regretted the decision. For all fo the reasons you can figure out on your own. Sometimes we do stupid things for love. My current flame knows that once I leave here I won't come back here to live: ever. To visit? Sure. I will not resie in a country that cant' take care of itself. How the seventh richest "country" in the world can proclaim itself a "developingnation" -all I can say is "Develop - damn it!" tawian never will, I'm afraid. Luckily, I won't have to endure it, but far oo many people will: they have no choice.

I'm heading for Ilan and either Daxi or Suao this Saturday morning, let me know if you have time.

CYA
Okami

I am afraid I have to pass ont his offer. I am still apcking things and have to watch my dough. I would, however, be interested in one last trip before I leave in the next month or so. I'll keep you posted. It's all about dough and logistics. Crying or Very sad

Trinity
Steiner

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Taiwan forum, I'm just visiting--skipped over all the family quarrels--and thought I'd post my two bits from my three months on the island.

Worst: Being run down by scooters on the sidewalks.
Best: Pearl milk tea! Especially from my tea guy on Roosevelt Rd. in Taipei.
TheyCallMeTrinity

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Oh boy... Reply with quote

TaoyuanSteve wrote:
I have to agree with Egas. Trinity does need a little feedback by way of his own methods. He has insulted more than a few users, and for far too long. Okami, furthermore, doesn't win many credibility points when he advocates staying above the fray, while including his own hate messages for overseas Canadians (most of whom he has never met).

Moe hyporcisy from taoyuan Stve. He rallies with Egas on a thread regarding SARS to bash Americans.

I don't see you pointing out the bad thing there, STEVE. So, again you prove yourself two-faced. You also further the anti-Canadian sentiment many people feel on this island.

So, your "credibility points"areZERO - and the "people I attack," preytel, who might they be? You and Egas? Do a history check and it's been you and Egas ganging up on me.

To quote Jim Kelly from the movie ENTER THE DRAGON, "Man, you're like some cat out of a comic book."

You stilll have yet to apologize, and then explain your liablous claims I was yanked off other forums.

You refus to answer me directly but, childishly, keep egging things on attacking me indirectly.

Please mature, and promptly.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jojo wrote:
Jason_Seeburn: that was roaches, I guess they beeped out the C*Ck. Rolling Eyes

- there are many of those. I got fed up with them crawling around in my kitchen, so I sprayed under the cupboards with powerful bug killer. You should have seen what crawled out to die. I could have started a roach museum.
jason_seeburn

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okami wrote:

Expats are a mixed bunch. I have a disliking for Caucasian Canadians (Personal opinion, any problems with such comments being publicly aired can be handled in a PM). It's nothing personal and I always try to give them a chance. CYA
Okami

- let me guess, you must be an American.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: