Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

taiwan's president on SARS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
killian

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: taiwan's president on SARS Reply with quote

just got the scoop: 124 health care professionals (nurses and doctors) have resigned enmasse in kaoshiung (taiwan's second largest city). taiwan's president, wearing a face mask after eschewing such previously opined:"Without the defense formed by frontline medical workers, SARS will swallow the whole of Taiwan." you can read about it over at reuters.com

best wishes.
TheyCallMeTrinity

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: taiwan's president on SARS Reply with quote

killian wrote:
just got the scoop: 124 health care professionals (nurses and doctors) have resigned enmasse in kaoshiung (taiwan's second largest city). taiwan's president, wearing a face mask after eschewing such previously opined:"Without the defense formed by frontline medical workers, SARS will swallow the whole of Taiwan." you can read about it over at reuters.com

best wishes.

CNN has been a solid media source reporting (in English) accurately the chaos, bunglng, mishandling and incompetence of SARS prevention and control in Taiwan. Here's more:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/east/05/19/taiwan.who/index.html

the link to the report Killian mentions:

http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=scienceNews&storyID=2768935

Let's see those in denial explain this?

I can't wait to get out of here. this sinking ship is not my cup of tea.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are you leaving?
TheyCallMeTrinity

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: Why do you care? Reply with quote

Sunpower wrote:
When are you leaving?

Really, why do you care? OBVIOUSLY you're having a ball here, spending so much time on 209 posts....

Do you have anything intelligent to contribute, like a link or news relating to the topic?

"Sunpower." Seems a bit dim.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't angry, are you?
Okami

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad thing about this is these doctors will still be able to be doctors. This is clear dereliction of duty. I think in the West any doctor who pulled this would be stripped of his license and barred from practicing medicine.

I hope something constructive comes out of this, but I'm not holding my breath.

Okami
TheyCallMeTrinity

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: i agree Reply with quote

[quote="Okami"]The sad thing about this is these doctors will still be able to be doctors. This is clear dereliction of duty. I think in the West any doctor who pulled this would be stripped of his license and barred from practicing medicine.

Okami[/quote]

I agree, companero. Even in China or Hong Kong: the governmetn's incomeptence and medical "professionalism" (I sue that term LOOSELY) didn't bungle tings as much as this island.

Sadly, taiwan needs the WHA, but I a msooo happy they got their arses slammed again this ear.

I came to the island wit aposiive opinion for it beinga sovereign nation, but when I go back I'll write to senators and urge them not to support independence for the island unless and until the DPP are out and the island reforms itself.

FREEDOM is a right that is EARNED.

What we have with this SARS bungling (Chen Shui-bian's "er-er bah" imo) is proof of the lawlessness (despite there actuallybeignofficial laws) of this island and how the general citizenry don't even feel tied to the island. No wonder they want to immigrate to other coutnries, sadly to build another version of "Taiwan" with the same corruption (Triads/Tongs) but to leech of the benefits our forefathers faught hard for us to have. I have little respect for such individuals, but completely understand that if you're on a sinking ship and have a chance at a better life -you go for it. Still, udnerstanding and respect do not always come together...

Stock up on masks,

Trinity
TheyCallMeTrinity

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Even the President's Brats are derelict in their duties Reply with quote

Okami wrote:
The sad thing about this is these doctors will still be able to be doctors. This is clear dereliction of duty. I think in the West any doctor who pulled this would be stripped of his license and barred from practicing medicine.

Okami

How about this:

http://www.etaiwannews.com/Taiwan/2003/05/21/1053478906.htm

"2003-05-21 / Taiwan News, Staff Reporter / By Taijing Wu
The Chinatimes Weekly Magazine reported yesterday that President Chen Shui-bian's (陳水扁) daughter, Chen Hsing-yu (陳幸妤), has not gone to school and her husband, Chao Chien-ming (趙建銘), has not gone to work since April 24 because they were worried of contracting severe acute respiratory syndrome.

The President's daughter is a dentist who is still studying at National Taiwan University's School of Medicine for her master's degree in odontology. Her husband currently works as an orthopedist at the National Taiwan University Hospital. "

Ironically, Chen Shui-bian claims to have known about the Ho Ping situation around April 24th. Hmmmmm.

Remember - the pres. and his wife, Dragonlady Wu forced their daughter to have a c-section on the same day and hour as Grandpa Chen and then used it during the 2003 Taipei Mayoral Election Campaing as propaghanda for its "auspicious timing" andcoinciding with Taiwan's independence.

Former DOH hea Twu Shing-jhr was a fall guy. While he deserves his arse handed to him on a platter, so does the big cheese: Chen Shui-bian.

Now hospital #2 in Kaohsiung is prepping to be shut down and declared a hotzone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: