Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apostilling your documents for Mexico. .
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nic

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Apostilling your documents for Mexico. . Reply with quote

Hi there,

I understand that you have to get your 'TESOL' certification apostilled before you leave for Mexico (for acquiring a Work Visa). Do you also have to get your Degree apostilled? I have a degree in Business.

Thanks!

N
dduck

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Doh doh doh! Reply with quote

You indeed, understand things correctly. Wish I had! doh!

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nic

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 12:50 am    Post subject: I was really hoping you were going to say 'No'. . Reply with quote

But, I guess you do what you have to do . . . Just more paperwork, hey!!

O.k., I'll look into it

N
shelley

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: degree apostilled Reply with quote

Hey guys, Where do I go to get my degree apostilled? Confused Thanks, Shelley
Nic

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Apostilling your documents. . Reply with quote

Hi Shelley,

I don't know if this process is the same for you (being an easterner:) as it was for me (being a westerner), but I'll give you the low down I was told to follow. And, I've just done it all, and it worked out rather smoothly. However, now I have to do the same thing with my degree?? I'm still going to look into that one.

So, here it is (This is what I was given by the TESOL organization after I took the course). I believe these steps would be the same for 'apostilling' a degree. Here goes:

1. Bring your TESOL Certificate to a Lawyer or Notary Public to get a 'notarized copy'. The cost for this is approx. $15-30 Cdn per document.

2. The certified COPY of the TESOL Certificate must then be 'authenticated' by the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade in OTTAWA. To authenticate certificate by mail:

Documents to be mailed or couriered MUST be sent to:
J.L.E.C.
Authentication and Service of Documents Section
Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade
125 Sussex Drive,
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0G2

Include a cover letter outlining specific requirements and your accurate mailing address.

If you would like the Documents couriered back to you, you must enclose a pre-paid courier envelope with your accurate address.

3. The certified COPY of TESOL Certificate must then be legalized by the Mexican Embassy, Consulate Section in Ottawa or other locatoin in Canada. (SO YOU MAY WANT TO LOOK UP WHETHER THERE IS A MEXICAN EMBASSY, CONSULATE SECTION CLOSER TO YOU, AND I THINK THERE IS - JUST LOOK AT THE MEXICAN EMBASSY WEBSITE). Here were the instructions by mail for me mailing it to Ottawa:

If you are mailing or couriering your certificate for legalization, send it to:

Mexican Embassy, Consulate Section
45 O'Connor, Suite 1500
Ottawa, Ontario
K1P 1A4
Include a money order for $63 Cdn (Approx.) made payable to Embassy of Mexico.
If you want it returned by courier enclose a prepaid courier envelope with your accurate address.

REMEMBER YOU ARE SENDING OR TAKING TO MEXICO ONLY THE CERTIFIED COPY
NOT THE ORIGINAL

Mexican Embassy, Consulate Section Phone#: 613-233-6665 Ext. 236

Hours:
Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 1:00 pm,
Except Statutory Holidays

Just a word of advice too - I would double check what the actual cost is
for this part. I paid the full $63 Cdn, not looking into it first, and I got it back today, and it looks like it was only $53, but I didn't get a $10 refund cheque either. Nice! So, I'd call first.

It looks like a lot, but it actually goes quite smoothly as I said before. Especially if you do include a prepaid envelope for them.

Good luck!Smile
N
Beemers

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic,

Approximately how long did all of this take you? I am in Calgary and was told I could go to the Consular offices in Vancouver. I am giong to Mexico in September and will not be TESOL certified until the end of this month with a degree following end of July/beginning of August. Do you think this will leave me enough time to get everything apostled?

Thanx.
Nic

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Length of Time. . Reply with quote

Hi there,

Yes, I was worried about that too - but it really wasn't too time consuming, and if you are ready to start doing it at the beginning of August, you'll have plenty of time to do the apostilling.

The notarization by a lawyer takes a day. And then from there, it's just a matter of mailing your documents to Ottawa, and then to Vancouver, and as long as you include a prepaid 'xpress' envelope (that's what I did), and you do it right away, the whole process should take you three weeks max. If you mail your documents at the beginning of the week too, with xpress status (1 or 2 day delivery both ways), the chances of you getting your documents back in a week are better.

But, I'd say at least three weeks. . (for the whole process, especially if you're mailing the documents to two different destinations - Another thing to consider is if it could all be done in one spot, like Ottawa - where the office of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, and the Mexican Embassy are both located - you may even be able to get it all done in one shot, and then even less time - a week or two) I didn't really realize that until I'd mailed my first document to Ottawa. Otherwise I would have just included a detailed cover letter asking them to do it all at once. (saving time and money)

alrighhhtyy,

N
Beemers

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**As I breathe a sigh of relief** That seems a whole lot less painfull than I though it would be! I guess the real work starts when we get to Mexico... Thanks for your help Nic.
shelley

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: apostilling documents Reply with quote

Nic, thanks a million for taking the time to write all that out for me. Very Happy In addition to my degree I have a TESL certificate from a local university. The course was an overview of ESL (65 hours). Would I need to have this apostilled as well? I am assuming that anyone should have their documents apostilled, whether you have a job lined up or not. Am I correct? And, if you are going into Mexico on a tourist visa with these documents wouldn't there be some question as to your intentions while you are in the country? It was my understanding that I would get my work visa once I landed and got a job but I am confused as to what I would say at the border if I am going through with these documents and a few ESL books! Confused Cheers! Shelley
dduck

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: ESL mule? Reply with quote

shelley wrote:
It was my understanding that I would get my work visa once I landed and got a job but I am confused as to what I would say at the border if I am going through with these documents and a few ESL books!

Yes, squack, walk, and talk like a tourist until you're in the country. Once you're in you can start looking for jobs. The likelyhood that you'll be stopped at customs and the guys will bat an eyelid at your ESL books is very unlikely, in my opinion. On the way up from Guatemala I think the army and customs guys are more concerned about illegal immigrants, and drug runners. Gringos are basically considered walking bags of money. "Yes, Sir/Madam. Please come into our lovely country. Be our Guest!"

As part of your tourist visa you're not allowed to undertake work for remuneration. You could alway try saying you're going to volunteer in Mexico or some other Latin American country - Mexico only happens to be a convenient starting point. Or you can try playing completely stupid (I'd say blonde, but I am blonde!) and pretend you read ESL books just for the fun of it!

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
leftcoastlobster

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: another possibility? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm currently teaching at a university in Mexico, and I got my apostille another way.

I emailed my university (in the UK, though I'm Canadian) and they sent me a letter saying that yes, I had, indeed, completed my masters in TESL/TEFL on such and such date, etc, etc.

I had no notarized copy of anything and I got my visa without a hiccup.

I'm not sure if this is because this other version of an 'apostille' was sufficient, or if because it was from a university outside of North America. I seem to remember reading somewhere that this 'apostille' busywork was some sort of arrangement spawned for NAFTA nations or something. The sun of the Sonora desert could be playing havoc with my memory, of course, so don't quote me on that one.

Best of luck,

LCL
LM

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F.Y.I.
The process you go through with Canadian documents is called "legalizing" and not apostilling. You get an apostille if your documents are American. Canada is not part of an international agreement to apostille documents.

The seemingly long process, described above, is correct as far as I can tell. I am just about to go through it as well. Hopefully it won't take more than the 3 weeks mentioned.

Be careful that you do this for all necessary documents. I have been told that birth certificates should be legalized as well if you are applying for a work visa.
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: apostille Reply with quote

My employer wants not only my degree apostilled but also my birth certificate. The degree is no problem - got in in less than an hour at my local ARizona Sec of State office for $3.

The birth certificate is another story - since it is a public record there are a ton of hoops plus the fact that the certificate is from New York,meaning everything has to be done there. That will take time I do not have so Im hoping my employer will drop this requirement. After all, I have a passport!
LM

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not your employer that is requiring the apostille, it is migracion (Mexican immigration) that requires it. Schools would love to be able to hire who they want without going through the hassle of the work visa.

If your empoyer indicated this would be a requirement, it is because they know what documents others have been asked for. You probably have no choice but to get an apostille for your birth certificate.

Sorry. That is the way the world is now post 9/11.

Six years ago I went through the process of getting an FM3 visa with migracion and I showed them original documents, no apostille, legalization or translation.

Good luck.
Pete Brown

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: A couple of questions on all of the above Reply with quote

Hello there,
Thank you everyone who has taken the time to answer the above questions.
A couple of questions, first I'm English does anyone know if the process for apostilling (If that's the correct term) is the same in England as it is in the States.

Secondley, Until reading the above the only documents I thought needed to by copied and authorised, In order to get an FM03 were the degree and TEFL cert is this correct or is there even more trees I have to butcher in order to work in Mexico.

P.S I used to blame MCdonalds for the deforestation of South America, now I deeply suspect the blame lies closer to the border, in the offices of Mexican imergration Laughing

Cheers
Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: