Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Dutch Caribbean

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew murphy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Teaching in Dutch Caribbean Reply with quote

I would be most grateful to receive any information about teaching EFL on Aruba or Curacao
bnix

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Curacao?Aruba?Me,Too!!!! Reply with quote

I think a lot of us would like to teach in Aruba or Curacao.There may be a few positions out there.Somehow,I rather doubt it.Unfortunately.If anybody knows of any, please post them,by all means! Smile
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Curacao ! Reply with quote

Part of the EU !!!! Probably more difficult than finding a job in the Netherlands.

Negative ? No, just realistic.
andrew murphy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scot47, but I've jumped the first hurdle: I have an EU passport. Do you know anything specific about teaching EFL in Curacao or Arub?
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Dutch West Indies Reply with quote

Do you speak Dutch ? No,I am only winding you up. My hunch is that since the Netherlands is overflowing with competent Dutch nationals who can not only speak English but teach it too, your chances are minimal. Go and try and report back to us.

I would trade my job here for teaching in Curacao but the harsh reality of this EFL game is that the jobs - especially jobs with decent money and working conditions are not in places that you really want to be. Why do you think Saudi if full of westerners teaching English ? Or Korea ?

Last edited by scot47 on Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
NIGHTSTRIKER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: ACTUALLY Reply with quote

A taxi cab driver told me upon arrival in Curacao in the late 60's that all who graduate high school speak three languages, just like the mother country.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:05 am    Post subject: But I WANT to teach there Reply with quote

But there are those who WANT to teach there. Personally I want to teach in the South of France - preferably on the Cote d'Azur. Or in Stockholm or Amsterdam.

Some people seem to have dificulty in grasping how the international market in labour works. In some places there are NO JOBS FOR NATIVE SPEAKER ENGLISH TEACHERS.

If you think this is unfair then complain to higher authority, not to me. I am just a messenger.
NIGHTSTRIKER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: ARE WE ON THE SAME PAGE?? Reply with quote

Scot, who are you talking too?? Everyone in Curacao learns three languages, or they simply do not graduate from high school. One of them is English..

Everyone on the island speaks English!!

The point of my post was; NO you will not go there and find work teaching English!!

But then again, maybe you weren't talking to me!!

If you hear of great job on the Ivory Coast teaching English to Diamond miners, (or smugglers (sp), let me know. Got to pay good money..
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: who to to whom Reply with quote

I was responding not to you but to the guy that thinks everywhere on Planet Terra needs his skills (?) as a native speaker of English. A common delusion amongst the EFL fraternity (and sorority).
It was not aimed at you but was meant to agree with you !
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightstriker wrote,
Quote:
Scot, who are you talking too?? Everyone in Curacao learns three languages, or they simply do not graduate from high school. One of them is English..

Just because everyone can speak English does not mean that they do not need English teachers. They must learn English from someone. I guess they just wake up someday speaking English. But I think that you are refering to Language schools which there are probally not any(jobs for unqualified teachers). OF course if someone had teaching qualifications maybe you could get a job at a college or a high school, since they are all learning English in high school.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: where ? Reply with quote

My point was that the Netherlands - and their colonies - are full of people who speak English and can teach it perfectly competently. Why should they employ a monoglot Usanian or Ukanian with dubious pedagogical skills when they can hire a professional language teacher who is fluent in Dutch, English, French and German ?

The jobs are in places where few of us want to be ! Saudi Arabia, Korea , the Planet Tralfamador. That is how the job market works !
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot 47,

My point is that there are probably some jobs out there for qualified native English speakers. Of course if you could speak Dutch it would be helpful. I have never been to Aruba but I wonder how well these tri-lingual people speak all three languages. I am sure that they speak English well since they interact with foreigners on a daily basis.

Well I am looking at a website about people in Aruba. It looks like they are having a nice life. The average GDP is $28,000.
marblez

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boyfriend's cousin teaches English in Aruba but is leaving in the summer for Egypt, so there will be a position open then. I believe she has a BEd.
Jolly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Nightstriker wrote,
Quote:

Just because everyone can speak English does not mean that they do not need English teachers.

I'm a Native English Speaker who taught in the Netherlands. No, they don't wake up some morning and speak English, but they don't need native speakers to help them. It just adds that extra umph to have a native speaker. The Dutch are excellent with languages, but as commonly believed, not everyone in the Netherlands speaks English or wants to speak English. Dutch colonies cannot really be compared to the Netherlands. India was a former colony of England, but you can't compare the 2 countires! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: