Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching ESL in Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Teaching ESL in Ireland Reply with quote

I'm hoping to teach English in Dublin. I know that there are a huge number of ESL students who flock there each summer (particularly Spaniards) but I don't know how easy it is to find a teaching job. Can anyone comment? I am certified, have had experience teaching in Mexico, and have a BA in English.

Thanks,

Julia
andrew murphy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeve, many people flock to Dublin as its inhabitants are reputed to speak the best English in the world. People are paying to be taught by someone with a Dubliner lilt so employers are not likely to look favourably upon someone with a Canadian accent - or for that matter an Australian one either! In addition, as an English speaking nation, Ireland is full of qualified and unqualified EFL teachers. During summer many an Irish university student is on the prowl for a summer job. You would be competing with these people. There is also the question of EU citizenship/right to work in Ireland.
jeve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:21 am    Post subject: job availability Reply with quote

Hi Andrew, thanks very much for your reply - I appreciate it.

I am able to get a visa without a problem through a governmental program for students (valid for just one year). The visa would allow me to arrive in Dublin and then look for a job, ie, I don't have to have it set up beforehand.

But of course if there are no jobs to be had, then I'm going to be in big trouble if I land in Ireland and can't find work. I have close friends there so have a place to stay if it takes a little while. Do you think the ESL job market is really as closed as you said?

Sorry to press the issue but I must admit I have my heart set on going.

Julia
andrew murphy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may have stiff competition. Your qualifications and experience are fine but I can see that your l(presumable) lack of a Joycean accent could be a distinct disadvantage. I would try to set up a job before you arrive in Ireland as trying to secure one at short notice upon arrival may prove very difficult. Still all said and done you can only know if you try. Good luck! Very Happy
andrew murphy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. Enlightened emloyers will want their students to be exposed to a variety of English accents including Canadian!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: