Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adnoc Technical Institute - ATI Abu Dhabi??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egyptfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Adnoc Technical Institute - ATI Abu Dhabi?? Reply with quote

I've noticed a recent advertisement for English language instructors at ATI, Abu Dhabi. An information on this place from past or present staff welcome. Thanks.
Truth Hurts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I am told that this place has become a safe haven for MLI vets. (a small "v")

The ex-MLI director is now heading ATI.

TH
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the different between ATI and PI? Are they the same place? I know some MLI people went to PI, but I was under the impression that ADNOC had become PI. ...so confusing all these initials...

VS
Truth Hurts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS

PI & ATI are entirely separate org's linked to ADNOC. A significant no. of MLI vets have gone to ATI.

TH
spicegirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The salary scales for this job in the ad on Dave's baffled me. It quoted 2 different salaries, one around Dhs 9,300 and one around Dhs 23,000 per month (I can't remember the exact figures). The big salary was for 'contract' workers, and only included air-fare in the package. Does anyone know what the differentials would be after you've paid for accommodation, health care, etc? Would a 'spouse' whose partner already has family status, accommodation etc. benefit from the 'contract' package. Do you get to choose which salary package you prefer? I'm not familiar with this kind of salary scale for academic staff in the Gulf, and would be interested to know how it works.

BTW, Dhs 9,300 doesn't sound particularly good for Abu Dhabi. What's it like working there these days? Years ago people seemed to think ADNOC was a good place to work.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spicegirl,

I too was rather mystified by that ad. First the ATI and PI confusion (and a number of MLI people are at PI too). Not to mention that last I heard, PI had one of the higher pay packages - while this offer of 9000+ DH with usual benefits while requiring an MA and 8 years of related and extensive experience is not all that great!! As I mentioned somewhere else here lately, I got over 10,000 a month over ten years ago at HCT with an MA plus 5.

It appears that they are trying to avoid the hassles of dealing with benefits. The contract salary of 23000 a month would be fantastic if you were a spouse of someone with a full benefit job. (say at HCT/ZU or an engineer in private industry). Personally I would take the contract salary and make my own arrangements, but new people to the country probably wouldn't want to do that. The one detail I would want to discuss is the health care issue. What are the options for someone who is on their own and not covered by a plan with a spouse?

Last I heard, ADNOC still has a pretty good reputation. They went through a rough patch, but no loud complaints lately.

VS
ntropy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sound advice I'd think, VS. A well-thought-out summary of the situation. Course, that's only cause I thought the same thing. It was good to hear ATI is alright these days. I was asked to apply a few years by a
recruiter and was strongly warned off by a friend who'd worked there just prior. PI seems to be admired by all, although I have no first- or even second-hand knowledge of the place.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ntropy, In the early 90's it was a good place. Then they sort of lost direction and things fell apart. But, I heard that with the advent of PI, things had improved. Rumors... the lifeblood of the Gulf.

I'm purely speculating here - and maybe Truth Hurts knows the answer - but I wonder if there is a bit of sharing of management and/or teachers between ATI and PI. Because I thought the person whose email is on the ATI ad is working at PI.

But, I was wrong once before... many years ago. Smile So, this time perhaps I am just confused.

VS
tefllifer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATI and PI are separate - maybe confusion as at least one person has moved from ATI to PI - and yes, somebody who is ex-MLI works at PI - several ex-MLI/Amid-East people are at ATI - but that's the UAE, isn't it - people DO find ways of moving jobs despite the rules and regulations and obstacles. The recruiter for ATI works at ATI, not PI as VS suggested - however, I don't know if he works FOR ATI as such or if he's on a special contract, or indeed still operating for Amid-East.
As far as I know, ATI students are technical students with pretty low English and everything else, including behavioural, skills.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't mean it as a negative that there may be people moving between the two places, nor that it was a 'bad' thing that ex-MLIers were there.

As you say, it is pretty common. I was merely... gossiping?

VS
tefllifer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS - no offence meant & none taken, I hope - was just trying to confirm or otherwise what had been said - as you know it's a bit like 'musical chairs' sometimes over here - all very confusing.
Wigwam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: PI or ATI or both Reply with quote

The ATI is entirely separate to the PI. Both are ADNOC sponsored. The PI is also sponsored by private oil companies - Shell, BP etc.. and so a lot of investment is taking place. The ATI will be moving to a new location soon as its present building will be demolished for further expansion by the PI.

Some ATI staff have moved to the PI. Only two people have left the foundation program since the PI opened its doors in 2001. The contract is excellent and the recruitment is very thorough. Having the minimum e.g. 3 years experience and an MA will not get you shortlisted. The pay and benefits and the working envirnment is difficult to equal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: