Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 months, how can I blow up the spot?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jg

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: 2 months, how can I blow up the spot? Reply with quote

Okay,

I understand that the best way of finding work in Taiwan is to be there, scouting around. I am prepared to do this, but my money is on the shortish side. What is an el cheapo way to do it? I am a veteran backpacker, but I only want temp work - I have 2 months to kill (July, August) and I'd like to pass them in Taiwan, if possible. Oh, I am a veteran teacher too, just not in Asia. What sort of options might be available to someone open to camps or intensive but short-term work? What sort of money should I shoot for?

A hostel, dingy little room, all I require are the basics. I eat food from street stalls and I really just want to get over there and teach for a bit, but I don't think it would be prudent to not max out my earning potential - no point coming home dirt-poor, ehhh? I certainly can appreciate the teachers in-country not wanting some backpacking doofus undercutting their attempts to keep the salaries at a decent level...

any advice will be cherished and held near and dear. Forgive me if this is not well-written, but I am writing this at halftime of an NBA playoff game, and I have to hurry...

JG
EOD

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer is usually the best time for the kind of work situation you are looking for. Unfortunately SARS looks to put a damper on everything. many foreign ESL teachers in Taipei have been put on unpaid leave until this thing blows over. Add to that the fact that they will not be able to leave without sitting in quarantine for up to two weeks in most places. Any work available will be very competitive. They are already calling this summer the "Summer of SARS". Better to make other plans.

Last edited by EOD on Wed May 28, 2003 1:23 pm; edited 4 times in total
wix

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: please get your facts right!!! Reply with quote

EOD wrote:
Summer is usually the best time for the kind of work situation you are looking for. Unfortunately SARS looks to put a damper on everything. All ESL teachers in Taipei have been put on unpaid leave until this thing blows over. Add to that the fact that they cannot leave without sitting in quarantine for up to two weeks. Any work available will be very competitive. They are already calling this summer the "Summer of SARS". Better to make other plans.

EOD please get your facts right!!! "All ESL teachers in Taipei have been put on unpaid leave." I don't think so.

"Add to that the fact that they cannot leave without sitting in quarantine for up to two weeks." Not many countries are putting arrivals from Taiwan in quarantine. Most are going to do a basic medical screen and let people enter if they show no SARS related symptoms.
EOD

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell us who is still teaching in Taipei and where.
As for quarantine, I am talking about tomorrow and you are talking about yesterday. I believe the poster was inquiring as to the near future.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EOD - Your statement was dramatic.

I don't have a beef with you or anything but I smiled after I read your post.
Quote:
99.9% of all foreign ESL teachers in Taipei have been put on unpaid leave

I don't think so (And that's EFL, right?

You're getting caught up in the hype, man.

Man, I WISH I could get unpaid leave!

As well, there are NO MEDICAL QUARANTINESin places like Canada and Japan or America for arrivals from Taiwan.
EOD

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken,
I am not in Taipei anymore. I left a while back when things first started getting weird. The only info I am getting is from the news, the internet and one of my former colleges still in Taipei. Please feel free to tell us exactly what the current work situation is in Taipei.
Did the government close EFL/ ESL schools in Taipei? Has at least one of the major international schools and others closed because of SARS?
Sunpower

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, none of my schoolls have closed yet.

I've noticed a drop in student attendance, though.

And most of my privates have cancelled until they think it's safe to go out for an English lesson.
EOD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says here that the Taipei American School canceled classes and final exams because of SARS.
http://www.tas.edu.tw/
Here is another link to school and business closures because of SARS.
http://www.icrt.com.tw/news/SARSalert.htm
What I don't understand is what so many have to gain by misinforming people about the dangers. I suppose it is all perspective by the fact is there are some very scary things happening in Taipei and Taiwan right now.
I understand how some of the Bushi Ban or cram school owners are concerned about a shortage of foreign teachers. What I don't understand is how even the most blatant warnings from nearly every foreign government representative office in Taiwan can be dismissed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: