Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMIDEAST - Odd??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheriberry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: AMIDEAST - Odd?? Reply with quote

Hi, all. I received this email from AMIDEAST after applying for a job on their webiste. This particular response is for the Egypt location. Is it normal for this company not to pay visa, travel expenses, work permits, accomodation, or basically anything?

Thank you for applying to AMIDEAST, we are pleased to receive your application.

AMIDEAST/Egypt has a wide variety of English language training and test prep programs for the general public and others which are either closed or tailored for corporate clients and government institutions.

AMIDEAST/Egypt hires instructors who have previous experience in the field of Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) to adults. All applicants are initially interviewed and, based on feedback are asked to give a 45-minute demonstration lesson that is evaluated by the program manager. Hiring is, therefore, a consequence to applicant performance during the demonstration lesson and the interview.

All instructors are independent contractors and agreements are on a local hire basis. AMIDEAST/Egypt does not provide for residence visas, work permits, or accommodation.

If you are interested in working in Cairo, please send your resume as a Word attachment in an e-mail message to (name left out for privacy reasons).....
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cheriberry,

This is the situation in the Middle East for language schools. Salary (usually hourly rate for contact hours only) and no benefits...

Language schools are normally for those with lower credentials - no MA and often no BA, but at least some kind of TEFL cert.

In your situation, you do not need to bother with language schools. (although AMIDEAST is one of the best to work for) Often those with MAs who are teaching a college or uni, will take a part time job with a language school.

VS
Sekhmet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
Yes this is VERY typical for AMIDEAST, especially in this country. My housemate works for the location here in Alexandria, and she did not get any of those things paid for. The people who ultimately hired me helped her to find accomodation, and ultimately a housemate (me!!! Very Happy).
Her current job title is "Educational consultant". The reason for this is that work visas are very expensive (and a lot of hassle), and as a "consultant", she is technically self-employed. They also pay at pretty much local rates (around 36LE per hour), but the good thing is, as a native speaker, you will never lack for classes or private tutees.
AMIDEAST seems to be a very nice place to work - I have met most of the staff at the Alex centre (they invited me to their 4th of July party!!), and everyone seems to take the same view. Also, because AMIDEAST has branches all over the Middle East, transferring shouldn't be too hard...
I hope that helps!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: