Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can somebody explain this?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Alan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Can somebody explain this? Reply with quote

When I was in Santiago in September I went everyday to restaurants and cafes with my girlfriend. There were a couple of places we went to quite regularly near the Plaza de Armas. When we were taking a coffee for example or a coca cola in the terraza I always felt the waitress was hanging over us and if we stayed for more than ten minutes she would come and say, ' Could you pay the pill now because I have to go because my shift is finishing.' This happened more than once in another place also. I really don�t understand this because the places were more than half empty when this happened. And I said to my girlfriend, ' I don�t understand this pressure because there are plenty of tables and surely it attracts more customers if people see there are people in a place.'

Just like to add also that we are both normal people, normal appearance, manners etc and I am never someone for lingering too long anyway. It was like the waitress had received an instruction: if someone is taking a drink give them 10 minutes and then move them on. Maybe I�m too used to Madrid where the problem is the opposite, attracting the waiter�s attention to pay the bill and be able to leave!
Dennis Parish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your coffee never has a chance to get cold here - drink your Nescafe and move out! Complete opposite of Argentina. Tips are sensitive because a lot of restaurants don't let the staff keep them; they go to management and are redistributed among the staff at the end of the month. Move out of the Plaza de Armas and head to some of the places near Cerro Santa Lucia, off Merced. There's a great place on Mosqueto - good food, too!!!
Don Alan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came to mind another coffee experience I had in one of the places in Plaza de Armas. Went in and asked for a cafe con leche, when bill came was charged two coffees. Went to cash desk to pay, and said I asked for a coffee not two. Cashier called waitress who said yes but it was a big coffee with milk. Cashier agreed. Disputed the matter on the basis of a coffee with milk is one thing, two coffees is another. Did my usual performance and said, not going to pay it. Result charged coffee with milk price.
Dennis Parish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big cup, small cup, who cares? What I want to is whether you got a cup which had been barely rinsed so that you got the added benefit of a huge whiff of chlorine and a taste to match. Stay out of the Plaza de Armas !!!(but you already know that...)
Don Alan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you say that about whether the cups were well rinsed because just after coming back from Santiago I become really ill and was diagnosed with Glandular Fever which as we know it caught through saliva. My girlfriend has never had it so i suspect those cups could have played a hand. Did you get my private message, Dennis?
eileen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you come back, I suggest several really nice cafes on Jose Miguel de la Barra and nearby the bottom of Sta. Lucia. Tomodashi, El Habito, Cafe Santiago, Cafe Mosqueto and Brain Works would love for you to sit endlessly and drink their delicious brew.

Rotten luck!
Don Alan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those suggestions.
Weona

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had that happen to me but there have been many experiences where the waitress or waitor will stand behind me (or whoever is paying the tab) and watch as we put down the amount plus the tip. It feels very violating and rude. I hate that.

Other than that, I've had mainly good experiences. Haven't been out much in Santiago but here in Vi�a it has been great. I never feel rushed and hurried to get out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: