Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL jobs in the UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capergirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: ESL jobs in the UK Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm a Canadian citizen currently teaching ESL in Canada. In September, I'll be moving to Britain where my daughter's father (also Canadian) lives and teaches English (not ESL). I'm hoping to be able to find work in ESL in London or surrounding areas if possible, and I wanted to know if anyone had any tips for me in this regard. I am not an EU citizen, but it is my understanding that Britain is somewhat less strict about EU status for ESL teachers than other European nations. Is this correct?
I have a BA in English, TEFL certificate, and overseas ESL experience (S.Korea and Taiwan) plus experience teaching ESL in Canada. Basically, I am wondering what my chances are of finding work in ESL in Britain and what steps I should take before September. I should add that I will also be flying over (to London) for two weeks in April for a vacation.
Thanks in advance for any advice or words of wisdom. Smile Smile Smile
lajzar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important thing to bear in mind is that in London, EFL teaching is a subsistance wage.

I suspect you may have more difficulty than you think in getting a work isa though. If you want to work at a state school and have appropriate qualifications, you'll walk in. But I don't believe the government sees providing commercial schools with workers as a priority, especially when Britain exports workers in this field.
Sherri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to teach in London. I am American but I was married to a British citizen so it was legal. I don't think you will be able to find a job so easily. There are plenty of teachers already there and schools will ask you about your legal status. I also found that some schools would not give me work because their students preferred teachers with a British accent (they paid to come and study in Britain after all!). The only chance for an illegal might be to get work this summer when the market is crying out for teachers to teach the short (1 to 3 week) summer courses that are so popular with European teenagers. But this is temporary work which ends in August. There are almost no jobs in September!

You mentioned that you are "moving" to London. Does that mean you are getting a different visa than a tourist visa? Have you arranged to immigrate? You can't stay in London or elsewhere in the UK for more than 3 months on a tourist visa--at least that is the limit for Americans.
Capergirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. Smile My ex-boyfriend (my daughter's father) is working in London right now and his recruiter is currently trying to find a position for me so that I will come over on a working visa in September. I don't want to come on a tourist visa, if at all possible. I will not finish my current contract until mid-August, so summer camps are not an option. If I don't find work right away in September, my ex-bf will help me out temporarily while I search, but the ideal situation is to find something before I go so that I will have that working visa. Confused

I guess I can only hope for the best and if it doesn't work out, then we will have to look at other options. Thanks again! Wink
ghost

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Teaching in British State schools, with a Canadian B.Ed. Reply with quote

Interesting comments about teachers with appropriate qualifications being able to "walk into" jobs in State schools in the UK.

I am a former UK citizen, who has been living overseas for the past ten years. Now a Canadian citizen, who has gained a B.Ed. from the University of Windsor, Ontario, with qualifications in Junior-Intermediate (all subjects) and FSL (French as a Second Language).

Would someone tell me about the reality of teaching as a supply in the UK. I know that there is a shortage of teachers in many parts of London, for instance, but that tells me that teaching there cannot be a very desirable occupation. Am I right?

Anyone who has supply taught in Britain? Feedback would be most welcome.

Incidentally, I am still a British subject, maintaining duel nationality.

E-mail: [email protected]
Capergirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris Smile

My ex-boyfriend is teaching English in London and he is a Canadian with a BEd from the U.S. He lives with a group of Canadians who are also teachers in London schools. Apparently there is quite a shortage for qualified teachers there, or so he tells me. Perhaps it is because teaching is so 'challenging' in some of the schools...I am not sure. But I'll pass on your email address to him and he can give you his perspective on it. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: