Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happens during Ramadan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gav71

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: What happens during Ramadan? Reply with quote

Hi all:)

My wife and I are looking at working in the UAE and were just wondering what happens during Ramadan - in particular at universities. Are there classes? Is it consider a religious holiday? Can you leave the country?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks gav:)
crocus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gav

If it's like Oman, you work. The hours are shorter, so the day finishes earlier, which is rather nice. Then, because the shops don't open till later, it means you can go out and hit the malls until about midnight. Personally I enjoy Ramadan - wish it was on for longer!

Bye,
Crocus
Ka-CHING!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we work during Ramadan for shorter hours, like Crocus said. My uni had a no food in the office rule. The cafeteria was open but nothing was being sold, so we had to bring lunch.
gav71

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Thanks for the replies Reply with quote

Thanks heaps - a little closer to getting a handle on it all.

Cheers
gav
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the shorter hours, and restrictions about eating in public (most places I have worked, we could lock our office doors if we wanted to eat or drink) - there is a 3-7 day holiday afterwards where you can travel to other countries if you wish. The problem is that you often don't know when it begins or ends until the very last moment. (as in, the Eid starts tomorrow and will end on X) That does make planning difficult.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: