Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary vs Cost of Living in Greece (Crete)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ITCjohn

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Salary vs Cost of Living in Greece (Crete) Reply with quote

Scot47 you certainly get around! Didn't expect you you to pop up on the Greek Forum (in fact, thought the Forum was in Rome Confused )

I'm considering a full-time teacher-training position in Crete at the moment. Salary is 1200-1500 Euros and they claim the average TEFL teacher earns 600 in Greece (I saw 900 elsewhere here). I travelled to this idyllic location many moons ago, but have no idea what such a salary equates to re cost of living in Crete. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

JOHN
scot47

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject: greece Reply with quote

When I explored the Greek job market some time back I got the distinct impression that salaries would barely be enough to feed you. So I am still in one of those countries where they pay you real money.

Last edited by scot47 on Fri May 23, 2003 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marcoregano

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that represents a very good salary for Greece, allowing both a good standard of living and the possibility of actually saving a few sheckles. Just curious...as I'm considering a move to Europe (from Asia) in the next year or two...is this at a teacher-training institute or a university (or something else?)....I'm trying to find ways of avoiding private language schools. Please pm me or email if preferred. Cheers, Mark.
El Gordo

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Marcoregano says, EUR 1200-1500 is a very good salary for Greece, but is that figure gross or net? If it is gross, bear in mind that they will deduct a hefty chunk for income tax and national insurance. Also, is accommodation provided? If you get EUR 1200 gross and accommodation is not provided, you will probably find you will end up with only about EUR 600 anyway - the normal rate in Greece as you say.

A few years ago I was getting the equivalent of about EUR 600 and found that it was enough to feed me, with very little left. Admittedly I do have a healthy appetite. I ate in restaurants every lunchtime but cooked my own evening meal at home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: