Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL Teachers in Indonesia and the Tsunami

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norman Bethune

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: ESL Teachers in Indonesia and the Tsunami Reply with quote

Many of us in various parts of the world have friends that we have met along the road.

I know a few ESL teachers who, after leaving China, were headed to Indonesia to teach there.

Alas, I worry about their safety in the wake of the Tsunami.

Communications from Indonesia will be in disarray. That is for certain, so I don't expect any posts to this site from Indonesia for a while.

Has anyone heard from their ESL teacher family or friends in Indonesia?

What's happenning there?

MOD EDIT
Cardinal Synn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend, who lives in western Java, right by the sea, told me on the phone ( I'm in the UK at the moment) that only north and west Sumatra were affected. Everyone is completely stunned, obviously.
It would be good to see some posts from teachers in Indonesia.
El Llama

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Jakarta now, where I never even felt a wobble. But, as Cardinal Synn mentioned, we've all been hit by the emotional shock.

My little sister is in Galle, on the south coast of Sri Lanka, where she thankfully escaped injury. Tens of thousands were less fortunate.

I can only urge everyone to donate money to a refief organisation such as the International Red Cross, Oxfam, etc.

For teachers in Indonesia - the Red Cross needs Indonesian/English translators. If you can help, please call 021 7992325

Thank you.[/b]
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that West Sumatra (Propinsi Sumatera Barat) escaped mercifully unscathed. I was in Java when it all happened but returned to Padang on the 30th. Colleagues who stayed here reported a minor tremor but nothing more, then a weird additional low tide Sunday night. The surf charter infrastructure here is being used right now to move primary aid and doctors in fast boats up the coast to Nias and the Banyak islands. The first boat leaves today, with 4 more to follow. More power to the elbows of Chris and Chris at the hotel Batang Arau for instigating that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: