Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa for Chile?????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevin_Voros

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Visa for Chile????? Reply with quote

I was wondering if someone could shine some light on the teaching in Chile visa situation for me. I'm a Canadian Citizen leaving for Chile on Feb. 21 and I don't have a connection for a job yet. I need a job in order to get a visa before I go (so I've been told). I've been told (by the Embassy) I will not be able to work in Chile, while other sources say that no reputible school hires teachers without a visa. I have also been told that alot of the work as an English teacher does not require a visa. I really don't know what to belive anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Kevin Voros Very Happy Smile Sad Crying or Very sad
Don Alan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Kevin

From what I know, and I have even read the Chilean government pages about this, is that the embassies say one thing before you leave but they don�t tell the full story. For example, the Chilean embassy in London told me in the past that you need a Visa before you go if you intend to work legally but that�s not true. When you go to Chile you will receive a tourist visa when you first arrive. If then you find a job with a contract they will apply for a work visa for you without problem. This takes about 4 months but in the meantime you are given something temporary. If you don�t find a contract and decide to teach hours here and there you have two options, one is to go to Mendoza, Argentina every 3 months to renew your tourist Visa, another is to appy for a Visa temporaria but to do that you have to have the backing of some employer even though you teach freelance, someone would have to say, I hereby certify that i give so many hours of work to this person each month etc.

I like you was a bit clueless about the visa but since I have looked into it, its not so complicated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: