Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Santiago, good place to live?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Alan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a good love nest you have in Renaca. Wouldn't mind going there to see what the town is like. I was in Vi�a, apart from the gypies bugging you for money, it was quite nice. A lot of big cars circulating in Vi�a. Highlight of the weekend for me was Chilean aristocrat with Golden Retriever dog. They had coffee next to us twice, the dog was fed the biscuits from the table and then had his snout wiped with napkin by his owner like he was a child. It's a dog's life!
matttheboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not much to the town itself (a McD's, supermarket and a couple of nice restaurants including one which sells the best empanadas for miles Very Happy ) but the beach is really nice, a lot cleaner than in vina. it's a lot less hassle than vina as well (no one bothers you apart from the guys selling stuff on the beach and they certainly don't bug you). The dog thing is funny, in buenos aires all the old women treat their pooches like that, it's like Paris (including letting the dogs crap all over the place...), a bit weird for a country(ish) boy like myself to see pets treated with so much care! It's also funny in Buenos Aires to see professional dog walkers-some have over 15 on leads dragging them all over the place (and producing a lot of crap...)!

Vina's a bit of a nightmare because of the traffic, it's solid during the summer months (and it's not particularly fun being stuck in a traffic jam in 30C for 2 hours i can tell you), there's a lot less in renaca.

Hope you have a happy new year,

Matt
sciphoto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the speedy responses frommthe two southamerican correspondents. If I were to move to Argentina, which everyone seems to be saying is the better choice, what would be an ideal location that one could teach English at and live close to the mountains? By the way the cost of living in Prague, CZ on a teacer's salary is very affordable and comfortable. This is my first year teaching out of college and I am able to live like a king here, everyone said the same things they are saying about Santiago and Argentina that you have to work soooo hard to make ends meet here, but in reality that is not the case, I teach 30 teaching hours a week here, so my question is how much exageration is involved in what everyone is saying about the poor pay down where you are? anyway, happy new year to fellow teachers out there k disfruten la vida pura, ben
matttheboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendoza is your best bet, the andes are in the background (and you can see them which is something that can't be said in santiago). There are decent (by s.am standards but certainly not by european standards) resorts within 4 hours bus ride, which isn't very much in south america. In the summer you can go climbing, hiking, rafting etc all within 1 hour of the city centre. It also has one of the biggest and most beautiful parks i've ever been to-20 minutes walk from the micro-centro and on the map it's about the same size of the city, great for rowing and cycling etc

There's a fair bit of info about mendoza on the argentine forum, most of it written by myself-i love the place and the only person i've ever heard of having a bad time there is weona on this forum. Whenever i go back i constantly meet travellers who, after visiting for a few days, moved back permanently setting up businesses or teaching. The biggest problem would be making enough money to do more than pay your way. There are a few institutes around and i'm sure with a bit of effort you could pick up private students-there's a big student population and it's a pretty well-off city and area as well.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: hey, hey Reply with quote

Matt, you got your pic up finally! Good work man...SA appears to be treating you well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Don Alan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you put a pic?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: step up to the camera Reply with quote

Go to your Profile on Dave's...
Make sure you have a pic locted on a server somewhere
Right at the bottom of the Profile page, type on the location of the pic.
http://www.theserver/yourpic.whatever
Type it correct, paying attention to caps

Try to keep the pic size under 250 X 250 pixels

PM me if you have trouble
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
matttheboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 2nd page of the general discussion forum there's a thread titled 'how to put an image under your name' -posted by me actually. There's a detailed description of how to do it there. I used villagephotos.com as the host, it works really well and you can v easily reduce the size of your pic to what's required. You can put a bigger photo up than dave's says you can...
matttheboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Guy, south america is indeed treating me well, much better than england, where i am now, i have to say. Que tengas mucha suerte en el ano que viene!

Don:re-size that photo-it's taking up half the page!!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: weeeee Reply with quote

Wee Don...too small now. Bring it up so we can see your pretty face!
Very Happy
Don Alan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I�ve been at it for more than half an hour and have reduced and enlarged the photo. It just leaps from small size to big size even though when I reduce or enlarge it I only make minor adjustments. I�ll leave it like this for a day and then scrap it if I don't find the solution. At least everyone has seen me
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good enough, though it looks like you REALLY need to get a tan. Laughing

Practice makes perfect...all in good fun
Don Alan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I�ll try again another day. My face was so white because, paradoxically, the sun was shining through the window on it. I�m Scottish, they are people whiter than me where i come from. Anyway I don't take a tan, i just go red.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a Canadian shade of snow white when I got to Acapulco the first time. The first week I lived there, I got the moniker of el camaron from local taxi drivers Laughing
matttheboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use villagephotos.com as a host and you can re-size very easily without a problem, if you re-size one side it automatically sorts out the other. Guy's right though-you are remarkably white, even for a scotsman!! Some chilean sun should sort you out...or maybe just make you this colour Embarassed
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: