Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WHO LET THE DOG OUT???????????????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: WHO LET THE DOG OUT??????????????? Reply with quote

I am starting a school in Taoyuan called the "Snoop Doggy Dogg" school. Here, we will teach the children the fine art of saying the f word correctly and grammatically, when to hit ho's who have done you wrong, and the correct temperature that a 40 is to be served at a party in the hood.

We also will teach gangsta rap ( a sing song approach to English).

OK, I'm being stupid. But the Snoop Dogg School is no more dumber a name than Snoopy is.

SENOR

PS I have heard that they will hire anyone named Woodstock. Snoopy offers free housing to teachers, but they are shaped as small red dog houses. The DOS is a loser bald dude named Charlie. Good luck.
chi-chi

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you're on, I want some of it.
PS Doesn't anyone post on this forum? It's boring as hell. Even the Vietnam forum rocks compared to this one.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackson Five (English school)

WTF ?
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chi-chi wrote:
PS Doesn't anyone post on this forum? It's boring as hell. Even the Vietnam forum rocks compared to this one.

The only exciting thing that ever happened here was a flame war attacking Canadians (thread now locked). Maybe we need a few intelligent trolls to liven things up. senor boogie woogie deserves credit for at least trying.
Richard

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THINGS I FIND NOTEWORTHY ABOUT TAIPEI:
(please feel free to add or detract)

1. There is traffic.
2. Asian bureaucracy is a dilapidated wagon with rusted wheels inches deep in thick mud doused in molasses pulled by a lame underfed horse.
3. Trying to remember all the different measure words of Mandarin is a pain in the ass.
4. Dogs wait for lights to turn green before crossing the street.
5. The degree of Western influence on the media is depressing (monolithic Britney Spears billboard over train station case in point).
6. The mandatory-mask rule makes riding the MRT like stepping into a Fellini movie. All that's missing are obese women and circus midgets.
7. It is an injustice that, in Taipei, "Fur Elise" by Beethoven is synonymous with garbage collection.
8. The food is superb.
9. Often, because of the length of time it takes for a traffic light to change,
one forgets their destination.
10. Canadians, generally, are not bad people. There's just too many of them in Taipei (I am one). Law of averages dictates that the high volume will result in there being more #%&*#@ represented. Nationality is not valid in and of itself as a reason for dislike. Every country in the world produces its own healthy crop of twits. So go easy. So there.
11. There are many, many attractive women in this city, both native and foreign. I love walking around the Chungshiao-Fuhsing district after work.
12. There is traffic.
13. There are skilled, motivated teachers here and there are hacks - just like in any other occupation in any other city in any other country.
14. I recently saw a sign here written in Chinese characters with an English translation underneath. It read: 'For restrooms, go back toward your behind.'
15. My single visit to 'Second Floor' made me nostalgic for my raving days a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.....

P.S I, too, would like some of what Senor Boogie Woogie is on.

R.
taiwan boy

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
11. There are many, many attractive women in this city, both native and foreign. I love walking around the Chungshiao-Fuhsing district after work.

Undoubtedly. The stretch of road between Chunghsiao-Tunhwa and Chunghsiao-Fuhsing offers the opportunity to spot some of the most beautiful women you could ever imagine. Cool

Richard wrote:
4. Dogs wait for lights to turn green before crossing the street.

I've never noticed this. I wonder who trains them. Laughing
chi-chi

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random thoughts by me about Kaohsiung:
*The people, both native and foreigner **that I've seen**, aren't very outgoing or friendly. I think more of the outgoing types go to Taipei, but unfortunately I can't afford to live there.
*I can't afford to live in Taipei.
*There's more of an outbreak of SARS in Taipei now than in Kaohsiung anyway. They now think a woman in Texas has it after visiting Taipei.
*The rent is cheap here, if you know where to look. The shopping is also cheap if you go to the suburbs to look.
*The food is excellent, although Taipei has got it beat.
*The job market is saturated by people who can't afford to live in Taipei.
*It's hard to get around. And I wish they would make everyone wear masks on the buses here. An old man next to you, hacking up a lung, isn't exactly reassuring.
*Downtown is not a pedestrian friendly place. The suburbs are worse. In the suburbs, not only is there traffic, but people drive on the wrong side of the road, and wait until the light turns red to go (just when you thought you could use the crosswalk.)
*Almost no English spoken here. Whatsoever.
*Taipei sounds like the best place here. I would like to go check it out sometime, after the SARS thing calms down.
That's all for now. Bye!
EOD

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this forum is pretty boring in comparison to many of the other ones about teaching in Taiwan. One of the biggest reasons is the lack of moderation. If you haven't noticed the moderators here at Daves take a hands off approach to censorship and moderation. This may change but the current atmosphere of mutual respect and free speech should stand out as an example to many of the other flame forums.
We accept any opinion as deserving in bandwidth and treat it as such. So long as you avoid profanity and maintain a level of courtesy to others, you are always welcome to voice your opinion. Dave�s ESL is well respected and as such doesn�t have to worry so much about government intervention or local sentiments. If you think the Earth is flat or the sun rises in the west that�s fine. Keep it polite and we will give it some space. We would prefer that post at least have some relevance to teaching but that is your prerogative.
Quote:
chi-chi wrote:

The only exciting thing that ever happened here was a flame war attacking Canadians (thread now locked). Maybe we need a few intelligent trolls to liven things up. senor boogie woogie deserves credit for at least trying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: