Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living conditions in KSA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Male call Reply with quote

Dear Irish and zakiah25,
Hey, if there's any merger, I get first billing ( i.e. slatscot ), owing to my seniority, my legendary wisdom and my movie-star good looks ( not to mention my modesty ). But you ladies brought up a good point. From now on you will not be allowed into the Saudi forum unless accompanied by a male relative. scot47 and I, by the way, are actually mirror-images of each other. He's a beast on the outside but a sweetheart deep down; I'm just the opposite.
Regards,
John
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Virtual is its own reward Reply with quote

Dear Irish and zakiah25,
Just to show you that we here in Saudi Arabia are adapting to the new technologies, the new times, I should tell you that, since this IS the Net, you can be accompanied on this forum by a virtual male relative.
Regards,
John
titanicman

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: KSA books? Reply with quote

Are these two books about the background or daily life in KSA? Is there much politics? Have you (or anyone) read them?

Behind the Veil ......written by a Saudi princess

The House of Saud .....written by an ex CIA ME operative
zakiah25

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: scarce as hen's teeth! Reply with quote

Gosh John! That could be a tough one! Biffinbridge has just told us that he is one of only 3 of the variety that you mentioned who are members of this forum!
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Book reviews Reply with quote

Dear titanicman,
" The House of Saud " is, as you might guess, mainly political, while " Behind the Veil " does talk about " daily life " - if you happen to be a Saudi princess, that is. Still it's not too bad. There just aren't too many, if any, books that I'm aware of that would give you a good presentation of the " daily life " from an ex-pat's point of view over here. Maybe because there's not much " life ". It'd make for pretty dull reading. But you might want to go to, say, www.amazon.com, and check through what they have available.
Regards,
John
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: On your honor Reply with quote

Dear zakiah25,
Ma fi mushkila. We have the " honor system " on Dave's. So, we assume that, on your last visit, you were accompanied by your virtual brother, uncle, cousin, whatever. Think of him as a kind of " imaginary friend ".
Regards,
John
Irish

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: The Lord is my shepherd Reply with quote

John:

Since I haven't got any male relatives (real or virtual) to accompany me on my forrays into this forum, I've appointed this guy as my official guardian/keeper. Naturally, I'm modestly covered as I type this. (Well, modest by Hawaii standards anyway.)

Aloha,

Irish

johnslat

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Do Angels have s e x? Reply with quote

Dear Irish,
Surely you haven't forgotten your " Guardian Angel "? And, as I recall from my early days of religion, they seemed to be exclusively male.
S e x ism, even in heaven.
Regards,
John
Irish

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: How many angels can do it on the head of a pin? Reply with quote

Quote:
Surely you haven't forgotten your " Guardian Angel "? And, as I recall from my early days of religion, they seemed to be exclusively male.

Oh, no question that the afterlife is an Old Boys' Club, but I don't know that being an angel is all that it's cracked up to be. The superpowers sound pretty cool but it seems like the angels' primary task is to suck up to the boss--so it's the same as Earth...except it goes on for eternity! No wonder Lucifer rebelled! He was the brightest of all the angels and look how he ended up. Sure he was cast out of heaven but now he's running his own shop and is just as famous as his former boss.

However, rumor has it that he's hit his midlife crisis and wants to do a quickie "teaching" certificate so that he can pay for his round-the-world backpacking adventure.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: The devil, you say Reply with quote

Dear irish,
" Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven. " Only problem is - the top job's already filled down there. So, when I arrive, I'm just going to have to stage a putsch. Satan as a backpacker, huh - well, that'll come as no surprise to to scot47, will it?
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: